Computer Shuts down with no warning. Cant troubleshoot.

clokwork

n00b
Joined
Mar 11, 2005
Messages
5
Hey guys. This is my first post here, but not without doing a search first on power supply issues, but couldnt find my issue.

A while back (maybe 3 months ago) every blue moon, my computer would shut completely off with no warning. The funny thing about that is the power led on the front still stays lit along with the ethernet led (blinking). The power supply's fan shuts off also.

After this happens, I cant just hit the power button and turn the compter back on. I have to shut the power supply completely off and back on to turn the whole unit back on.

Due to my limited knowledge on how to troubleshoot this, my thought process was if the mobo, processor, or ram was going bad, I would get beeping (ram) or have issues starting the computer (mobo or processor).

I know the answer may seem obvious, but still wanted some more expert opinions.

Thanks.
 
It sounds like a psu issue, need your system specs including any ocs to tell you any more
 
sure thing. I am running:

AMD Barton XP2500 (not overclocked)
Nvidia chipset mobo (sorry, I cant remember model A7N8X-X I believe )
HyperX ram (512
CoolMax 400-450W? power supply
Pioneer DVD Burner
Memorex CD Burner
Western Digital HD (80 GB)
Aardvark Soundcard w/breakout box

Windows XP prof

I hope this helps

If I were to need a new power supply, what wattage do you suggest?
 
From the power supply forums sticky:
So without Further ado, I present to you the list of Un-reccomended and Unscrupulous Power Supply Companies

Achieve
.....
Codegen
Coolmax
Demon
.....
X-treme

So thats prob your issue right there. If youve recently added any components try taking them out, see if that sorts your issues, but id be nearly 90% certain thats your problem. As far as what wattage, look into something 400+, but a good 400, head over to the power supplies forum and check out the stickies. The tagan i got is fab, and dead silent, runs my rig, v similar to yours with no issues whatsoever. Or you know, theres always PCP&C if youre feeling really rich.
 
Much thanks for your help. I really mean that. I was lucky enough to find a 400W Antec Smart Power here at work that should do it for me.
 
An 'el cheapo power supply is never a good choice when you put a bunch of good hardware in a machine. Do yourself the favor and spend the extra cash on a good, solid, stable PSU like an Antec or Enermax.

I'd jump into the range of around a 430W to 500W for what your doing. Should handle your setup like a champ, and also allow for some expansion.


Also make sure that you're not running into any heat issues. I've had a computer do the exact same thing before when it was overheating. I had a crap heatsink for an older 2200+ once upon a time, and the damn mobo I had kept giving me incorrect readings until I updated my BIOS. Found out I was at like 70C idle.. :eek: Plopped on a Swiftech MCX462 and BaM!.. dropped me down to 42C and never saw the problem again. :D
 
No Problem, that psu should do you well enough, it doesnt fix your issues then maybe look into heat, but certainly post again.
The best thanks is coming and joining the [H]orde over in the Distributed Computing Forum.
 
I noticed my cpu was running around 120 F. its a bit on the warm side, but is that too much in your opinion?
 
Assume youve got stock cooling thats around 49/50 C, which although pretty high, is well within spec, assuming of course that thats a load temp. Looking at mine, im at 36 degrees C, under full load cos of folding, need to clean out my fan filters i feel.
 
It turns out the problem was the power supply. I ditched the coolmax for the Antec and all is great again.

Thanks for the assurance everyone.
 
Back
Top