Computer shuts down when restart is selected.

Stiler

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jun 4, 2002
Messages
10,538
I have a friend with a computer issue and I couldn't figure it out.

He's running windows 7 and when he selects "Restart" from windows start menu instead of restarting it shuts down.

I wonder, is it possible this is caused by a reversed connection on his motherboard and case? Like if hie plugged in the reset to the power or such.

However can this cause the windows restart to shutdown?
 
He's running windows 7 and when he selects "Restart" from windows start menu instead of restarting it shuts down.

ACPI issue. Driver or BIOS. That or user error.

I wonder, is it possible this is caused by a reversed connection on his motherboard and case? Like if hie plugged in the reset to the power or such.

Not remotely likely. If the button isn't being pushed, how is selecting "restart" from a menu going to be affected by it?
 
I agree with rat. The ACPI soft reboot is being controlled by Windows, not the motherboard connection. Look for new drivers for the motherboard.
 
Back
Top