Computer Security/Firewall/Router

compute

n00b
I hope that out of the collection of smart people on this forum someone will be able to answer my two questions.

The first question concerns the root user on a mac. Do I need to create a separate user account on the the mac in order to assign a root password to it? Will this account need to be separate from the actual account that I and other people will use? I thought that I read somewhere that you should not use the account that has the super user assigned to it because everything is unlocked.

Would creating a password for the root prevent someone from accessing the computer if they did not have a user account? I heard there was a way to override a password and still sign in but would this step stop it from happening? Or is there another way?

The second question concerns internet bandwidth and security on a mac. My current setup is a time warner cable modem, connected to a nether rp614v4 router, then with cat 6 cables to a Mac Desktop, Macbook pro, and another laptop. I need to do two things separate my Mac desktop from the other two laps tops via vlans and stop my bandwidth from dropping out.

After talking with Netgear business support they determined that since my current modem does not handle vlans it would not work with a vlan capable prosafe switch. Their solution was to connect my modem to either their fv318g or fv336g vpn firewall router. While these both have vlans that would enable me to separate computers the qos seems to be lacking. They described the qos as grouping of devices with up to four individual groups. For instance if you have 20 mb bandwidth and 2 groups each would get 10mb capped.

Is there a way with equipment from other companies to share full bandwidth equally, but allocate bandwidth when neccessary to the priority vlan? For example, 20mb shared between two groupings, but when the primary vlan requires 3-4mb even if most of the bandwidth is being used by the other computer it will take it. Then forcing the other group to only receive 16-17mb, but then revert back to 20 when the primary vlan has finished.

Can this be done or is it only possible to divide and portion out the starting bandwidth? I guess what I am really asking is if I can take bandwidth in real time with out permanently slowing down either grouping.

Thank you smart people!

Back