Computer room temperature

I got a Kill-A-Watt electric usage meter. The two dually systems, both running 100% folding, with the peripherals, etc., my computer bench is eating 760 watts.

My bench for the radio, weather, TiVo hacking, etc. is eating another 320.

The room lighting is using 65 watts (high effeciency bulbs).

And the air conditioner for the computer room eats 560 watts cooling (about 14 hours a day) and 50 watts idiling (the other 10 hours a day).

So max draw (14 hours a day) is about 1705 watts. Minimum draw is 1195 watts. Needless to say, the electric bill is outrageous.

I'd like to set the air conditioner as high as possible, and not have the systems crash from heat. It is set for 78 degrees right now. On the X2 system, the mobo is running at
89 degrees, the chip at 129. On the MP system, the mobo is at 102 degrees, chip one at 132, chip 2 at 125.

It's a typical summer in mid Florida, so outside high temps during the daytime range from about 90 to about 102.

Trial and error may mean setting it too high, risking the systems, since I really can't sit there in the middle of the day and watch them (that evil thing WORK gets in the way). So, looking for someone who's already experimented with computer room temperatures, and the effects on running systems. As in, how high can I set that thermostat?

at my house, my mom doesnt let us set it lower then 78 during the day and 75 at night. I live in Houston, TX and its average at 95+ almost everyday. we have 4 computers on almost 24-7. THe blinds are normally always closed to keep the sunlight out and fans are always on. The fans help a lot.

So I'd guess 78 should be fine and block out the windows of sunlight and keep fans on blowing on and around the pc's so the air stays circulated and you should be fine. Keep the door to the room open as well. Take the side panel off too!

I don't understand where the problem is... You have AC man!!!

I'm sitting in my appartment and it's been up to 95°F ambient here and I have never had my laptop crash because of the heat...

My dad doesn't have AC at his place either and his place gets to around 90°F or so and he has a barton 2500+ machine. It's never crashed because of heat either...

Cooler is always better but if you are comfortable I doubt you have to worry about your computers... and man that's a lot of power consumption!

Canon said:
I don't understand where the problem is... You have AC man!!!

Cooler is always better but if you are comfortable I doubt you have to worry about your computers... and man that's a lot of power consumption!

Thanks for the answers. What my plan is (for now) is to shut off the MP system (losing valuable folding points). That brings the system bench down to about 540 watts. I'm going to spin down all the TiVo units, spin them back up as I get potential buyers, saves 220 watts. Unplug one of the track lights, kicking lighting down to about 30 watts.

The air conditioner I'm going to step up about 2 degrees at a time, until either I or the gear in the room get uncomfortable.

Hopefully all that will make the meter on the side of the house quit spinning like crazy.

My room has been 95 degrees before and I was playing bf2. Only thing that happened was my video card (x850 xt) downclocked because it was getting hot.

Back