Computer restarts upon normal/safe-mode boot up

Axsuul

Limp Gawd
Windows XP. This has happened before about a month ago, I wiped the hard drive clean by writing zeros and replaced a video card and it seemed to fix the problem. Now, the problem has returned, which I will describe right now (and it's not a hard drive problem, which I replaced also a month ago since I suspected that might be the problem).

Basically, my computer posts, but because it has restarted so many times from this problem, I am brought to a selection menu for safe-mode, etc. If I choose either boot normally or use last configuration, the Windows XP loading screen appears for a couple seconds, disappears, I hear a soft clicking sound from inside the computer, and the computer restarts. If I choose safe-mode, it tries loading all the files, but then towards the end it also restarts. Any suggestions please are very appreciated, thank you for your time.

if you hear a clicking noise its a bad hard drive. I know you just replaced it but it could also be bad. If it is in fact bad you may want to see if something is killing the hard drives since you just replaced it. If you are 100% sure its not the hard drive you can try some things in the recovery console. Boot up into the recovery console from the Xp disk and run fixboot and fixmbr, you may also try running a chkdsk /f. Try that out and see if it fixes it.

Hi, I ran a chkdsk /r and supposedly it fixed it, but when I went to my C: drive, i found that Program Files has been renamed to program files and so was every older folder (being named to lowercase). Also, all the programs I had in my original Program Files was missing though I could still access the programs as they had been moved to a separate folder "C:\found.000\dir0000.chk". What happened?

when chkdsk was ran and it got to those folders it may have found issues and marked them as bad with that dsignation. I would still suggest just getting everything would like to keep off of the computer and back it up somewhere and do a fresh install. Something royaly jacked up your PC and at least you were able to run chkdsk to fix it enough to get back in. It is possible it may be able to be fixed but the time that may be involved is not worth it IMO so its just better to backup and do a clean install of windows.

Blauman said:
when chkdsk was ran and it got to those folders it may have found issues and marked them as bad with that dsignation. I would still suggest just getting everything would like to keep off of the computer and back it up somewhere and do a fresh install. Something royaly jacked up your PC and at least you were able to run chkdsk to fix it enough to get back in. It is possible it may be able to be fixed but the time that may be involved is not worth it IMO so its just better to backup and do a clean install of windows.

Sounds like good logic.

i would replace that drive before you mess with it more. rma if its still under warranty. its just going to keep getting worse.

Back