• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Computer Restarting & Other Issues

bbwebman

n00b
Joined
Mar 3, 2005
Messages
2
I've provided as much information as I can about my problem. If you need any more info I'll be happy to supply it.

Description of Symptoms

I first noticed problems at least six months while using Photoshop 7. I'd be manipulating an image when the screen would go blank and the computer would restart. Sometimes it would simply crash and give me an error message saying "VC++ DLL Runtime Error"

I'm now using Photoshop CS and am still having the same problem of it restarting when doing something to the image (though not every time, but it does happen when working on it, such as contrast/levels/scaling/scrolling/etc.).

I'm not sure if this is related or not, but I also all of a sudden got an error in Counter Strike 1.6 saying "Host_error something something". Now I'm using Counter Strike: Source and get two types of errors. One is when I notice a lot of lag all of a sudden I go to the console and see the message "Failed to process svc_UpdateStringTable from IP_ADDRESS" filling up the entire console window for many pages, where IP_ADDRESS is whatever server I'm connected to. Then it sometimes freezes and the same sound plays over and over again, though sometimes it simply crashes and gives the error "Program Error. Could not read from" and then it gives a hex address.

Also I've noticed, though more rarely, the keyboard stop responding in windows (i.e. whenever I'd hit a key on the keyboard, even the windows key for instance, it would act as if I hadn't touched anything). Also when using Photoshop CS (just noticed this today) it will not recognize/react to CTRL + Key combinations. For example I'd have a selection that I wanted to get rid of and I'd hit the combination Ctrl + D. Nothing. I try Ctrl + X. Nothing. I even try Delete. Nothing. Though it works when I go through the menu and manually click on the command.

Thinking the problem lied in the VC++ DLL's I tried to reinstall windows (upgrade, not clean) using a slipstreamed disc I created. That failed to install correctly as it kept freezing at 34 minutes left in Installing Devices. A search of google found many other people having the same problem which couldn't be solved even by reformatting. I eventually worked around the issue by performing a clean install with an official XP Home SP2 CD (though later I performed another clean install using another hard drive).

Steps Already Taken

Since then I've changed cases (and power supplies) replaced the video card (Now using ATI All In Wonder 9600 XT), tried switching out the RAM (still having the problem wether using one 512 stick with two 128's, or just the single (new) 512mb stick). Switched hard-drives and performed a clean install of Windows XP using an XP Home SP2 disk.

Possible Problems I think it might be

With having replaced so much I'm thinking it could be a motherboard issue. My only other thought is a problem with my video card (ATI All In Wonder 9600 XT), though that seems doubtful, even though my previous card was very similiar (ATI All In Wonder (the original//no numbers)).

Software Running

I am using Norton Antivirus and Norton Internet Security, though I don't think they're the problem because after re-installing windows the first time I didn't install Norton and still experienced the same problems.

Hardware

AMX Athalon XP 1800+ 1.53 GHz
one stick of 512 MB RAM (though problem still occured with two 128 sticks and the two 128's in addition to a 512).
ATI All In Wonder 9600 XT
Maxtor 80 GB and 160 GB Hardrives
and the best I can tell I have the Iwill XP333-R or XP333 motherboard


Any and all help is appreciated!
 
Back
Top