Computer reboots when accessing NAS share.

M76

[H]F Junkie
This is officially a x-file for me.

The symptom

An office computer (core2 E7200) reboots when I try to access a specific network share from it. It can access any other computers/shares/NAS without problem. It only has trouble with one specific NAS device.

It takes about 4-5 seconds after browsing into the NAS for the restart to trigger. The computer (running windows XP) reboots with the generic " the system has recovered from a serious error" message.

I tried changing the settings of the NIC, to no avail. I even tried disabling the onboard NIC and put a pci card in it, but the restart still happens, and still only on that one device.

Of course the said NAS can be accessed from any other computer without a problem.

What could cause this? I don't even know where to start looking.

Could it be anti-virus that is scanning the drive and crashing as you try to access it? Can you access it if you boot into safe mode with networking? I would start looking at what software is running on the computer and disabling running apps to see if that fixes the problem

Thanks, I tried disabling the antivirus, but no change. I tried disabling the windows search service, because when I browse there trough total commander it takes 5-10 seconds to get the crash. But if I browse there with windows explorer then it crashes immediately.

Thanks, I tried disabling the antivirus, but no change. I tried disabling the windows search service, because when I browse there trough total commander it takes 5-10 seconds to get the crash. But if I browse there with windows explorer then it crashes immediately.

Is there any chance that it's trying to do autoplay or something similar on that share for some reason? (It's a long shot)

i'd try another video card if you've got one laying around, and/or run memtest86 to see if your RAM is OK.

or you could maybe take your OS hard drive out & install windows again on another hard drive (don't clone your existing one, do a fresh install), and see if it still happens. if so, it's likely a hardware-related issue. if not, it's software/driver related. if it's hardware-related, replace whatever hardware is causing the problem, then put your original hard drive back in it and you're back in business.

Back