Computer randomly shuts off during gaming

Dutt1113

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 30, 2005
Messages
1,623
Lately my computer has been randomly shutting off during gaming. This is the third time it's happened in the last week or 2. I have a thermaltake toughpower grand 1200w. I have 4790k at 4.6ghz and 2x 1080ti at 2038mhz. I have watt meter at wall and computer pulls 650-700w from what the meter says at gaming load. So out of no where the computer during gaming sometimes the computer literally shuts off and then turns back on like 5 seconds later. The psu fan seems to be working and I have plenty overkill for size of power supply. Is the power supply starting to go bad? I may rma it since its only 2.5 years old.

Any ideas?
 
Sounds like a PSU or power connector problem. Maybe inspect all the PCI and ATX connectors for loose wires or pins and see what you see.
 
Use a different wall socket and see if that changes anything. But Power Supply is where I would start.
 
Fans clogged or running slow causing something to overheat maybe.
 
First thing I would do is plug in a lamp to the same outlet. If it dims or flickers same time your PC shuts down you know the problem lies in the grid somewhere.
 
-I used to have a similar issue (*with different PSU), but in my case, the PSU fan had a problem thus the PSU was overheating.
-I was going to propose you to check your CPU temperatures, but then i noticed that you use watercool , so probably that's not the case.
( Out of curiosity what are your CPU temps? )
-Is this your PSU ?
http://www.thermaltake.com/Power_Su.../C_00001718/Toughpower_Grand_1200W/design.htm
from specs, i notice that it has 2 * 12V Rails. One Rail is 40A, and the other 85A. Theoretically, if you put all your devices at the 40A rail, this might cause the problem. (*or maybe you have lot of peripherals connected, that might -as a combination- they draw more than the 25A @5V ? racing wheel/chair for example, external hard drives etc ? ) . At any case, i would propose you to try another socket-combination with the cables connected at the PSU's side.
 
psu was released 5-6 years ago. how old is it? just went thru this with my rig, shutting down immediately or after a few minutes of gaming. ended up being the silverstone psu

EDIT: nvm I see 2.5 years, mine was a little over 2 years
 
Last edited:
This is textbook overheating. Check your mainboard VRMs or some other obscure, overlooked component.
 
Back
Top