Computer randomly crashing

Daynja

Weaksauce
...After installing a highpoint rocketRAID 454 using RAID 5. Latest BIOS/drivers. It seems to only happen during extended high usage of the drives. like when I'm transfering several GB, or when I tried to zero build it in windows.

Chaintech 9PJL Apogee
P4 2.8c
500w power supply

1 hard drive and 2 optical drives on the onboard IDE. 4x WD 160GB drives on the rocketRAID 454.

The computer just freezes, and nothing happens, no BSOD or restart.

This is what I got from speedfan:

Vcore1: 1.50V
Vcore2: 1.52V
+3.3V: 3.22V
+5V: 5.11V
+12V: 11.9V
-12V: -11.87V
-5V: -0.53V
Vbat: 2.96V

This time I was doing a benchmarking program, and it was about 2 minutes into it and it just restarted.

Do you think this could be a power supply issue? All 8 12V connectors are being used. 1 String of 4 and the floppy power are going to the 4 RAID drives and my video card. This is the only way it would work out. The power supply wasn't expensive, but it says 500w and it supplies 34 amps to the +12v. Giving it the weight test, it's much heavier than any of my other power supplies. ;)

Well I've come to the conclusion that this card simply can not do RAID 5. When writing any significant amount of data, the computer freezes. I have switched it over to RAID 1/0 and it seems to be working fine. Although I have 150GB less space, the read speed is about the same and write speed is much faster.

w00t! still crashing with RAID 1/0. So I guess I'm just screwed...what could be causing this? I hate computers right now.

I think I’d start with what PSU are you using. You mentioned 500 watt, but not who’s 500 watt. They are not all equal. I’d also double check those voltages in the bios instead of software. A real volt meter reading would even be better.

Are you plugged into a UPS? Low line voltage can give you the same issues.

Last but not least, what are your CPU temps? What your doing is CPU intensive, make sure it’s cool enough.

Just some random thoughts

Luck

The power supply is an aspire. Not a big name brand, but it has the same specs as those damn pc&c everyone brags about and people say other power supplys use the same internals. My 360w power supply was running this the same way, so I kind of doubt it's the power supply...I bought a new one mostly for the 8 molex connectors. My other power supply only had 6.

I am plugged into a UPS.

CPU temp has been very low ever since I got this new case. It's now running 2 front and 2 rear fans and has a side panel tunnel for fresh air access to the CPU fan. Idle temp is now about 38C.

Thanks for the thoughts, but I've pretty much had it with this card. I just took the drives and card out a few minutes ago. I'm going to see if I can return it tomorrow. It just does not work. I won't be buying another highpoint product. :rolleyes: I guess I should have listened to what everyone says about highpoint.

I really can't afford a better ($250) card, but this card is worthless to me right now. It doesn't work.

I'm either going to spend a lot of money and buy a real RAID 5 card (which will cause me to go insane and probably kill someone) or just buy a cheapass $50 card and do RAID 1/0. But not highpoint, because it's clear that their cards don't work.

Back