• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Computer randomly crashing/restarting when playing games

AcidicRage

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 18, 2002
Messages
346
This has been a problem of mine since 2 years ago. At first, I didn't want to "try" to fix it because I thought it was just the load of spyware + regular computer usage. Then about a month ago, I attempted to fix it by just reformatting my computer and reinstalling everything. At first I thought this would work, but I notice it didn't. My computer specs are:

P4 2.2 GHz
GF4 Ti4600 128MB
1024 MB (2 x 512) PC2100 DDR RAM
Windows XP Pro w/ SP2

I know my computer is old and sucks. It's about 3.5 yrs old (at that time, it was top of the line!) and I don't plan to upgrade anytime soon... but maybe in the next 1-2 years. My problem is that whenever I play ANY video game (mostly 3D or graphics-intensive games), my computer will randomly restart SOMETIMES (not all of the time, but it happens frequently than coincidentally just a regular crash). It will usually do one of the following:

- Crash to desktop without notice
- Crash to desktop WITH notice (It is always a "memory corruption" type error)
- Computer restarts randomly in the middle of the game (I'll be playing and soon I will be saying wtf?)

After reformatting, the problem still exists. This restarting/crashing seems to happen more often with different games, too. The solutions I've tried include installing DIFFERENT graphics drivers to see if it's a driver problem, using a memory testing program to determine if my memory/RAM is failing, and last reinstalling the different games it crashes on. I've also have the latest updates including sound, chipset, BIOS, motherboard, game updates, etc... (since I just reformatted and did a clean install not too long ago)

After doing all that, it still happens, but just randomly... sometimes 2 minutes into the game, sometimes 30, sometimes never.... But it's there, though.

I think the only thing I haven't done is actually check the internal hardware myself like the graphics card. I suspect it could be overheating (since my card is quite old and I've maybe worn it out...the fan has died perhaps?) or my RAM is failing. I dunno... any suggestions or other diagnostics I should try? Thanks
 
Your symptoms are indicative of system memory malfunctions that result from poor power supply performance

Check your event logs and run memtest . Download Sissoft Sandra and run it. It may help you determine the root cause
 
Hmm.. okay, thanks. The only memory diagnostic thing I used (as mentioned above in my post) was Windiag. I ran it for a few hours and it stated no errors. I guess I should try MemTest then (?) and the others as stated.
 
I asume/gues You have never cleaned it inside?

Well You should. In PC's with more then 3 fans You should clean it every 3 to 6 months and even PC's with low airflow need to be cleaned once a year.
Take a soft brush and vcum cleaner. Dust of with a brush sucking up dust with vacum cleaner. You should avoid that dust just goes from parts and ends up in Your room cause it will be later agian sucked up into a PC.

Remove front bazel to and clean between it and steal front.

Take of just a fan of Your CPU cooler and clean it from inside. Also it will give You better position to clean fins on a cooler.


Look I have brand new SFF PC and affter ~6 months it was allready dirty.

Also laptop ofone of mine family members was unstable and I've dismantled it and cleaned and it's working great.

First when You oppen it turn it on and see are those all fans turning good. if so then You will not need to chane them but if not then just get once You need. Liek CPU cooler even better then stock cost like 15$. Not so much money to save Your CPU from burning out.


When cleaning PC it has to be off. If You ar going to clean inside of a PSU be shure calbe is disconected and still doo not touch high voltage caps contacts with Your fingers. Better doo not take PCB out just open a cover dust off and close it again.


This will have function even if Your problem is somethign else cause You doo not want taht anything burns cause You haven't doen what You could.


Good luck,





MD
 
I recently bought myself a GF6600GT and 512MB Corsair PC2700 memory. I have almost the same problem. At first I thought that there was a problem with the power supply (I had 300W but 6600GT requires at least 350W) and bought some crap that was 400W. And now, my computer has still done few restarts. Now I set everything to default in BIOS, hasn't done any restarts fortunately in few hours, let's see what happens next. Guess I should play Far Cry or something for few hours. My CPU is 1,7GHz P4. Computer is about three years old. Has somebody have the same problem? I mean, you buy a new power supply but the computer still restarts randomly.
 
Back
Top