Computer promting to shut down at random

DarkSoldat

n00b
Hey guys,

I have a pretty high end gaming PC with Windows Vista running on it and starting last night, it will just be at my desktop and I will be watching tv or something, not even on my pc at all and it makes an error message noise and a box will appear saying

SHUT DOWN
| OK |

It will pop up as a button to click on, but it is only on OK button, but the crazy part it that it only pops up for literally a second then automatically just shuts down.

I do not think it is a virus because my roommate has our router running through a server and we get basically no ad ware or spy ware on our computers because the firewall is so ridiculous on the server and I do not think I am over heating because I do not over clock and all my fans seems to be working

That was similar to the behavior of the Nimda virus. Just because you have firewalls in place, doesn't mean you are protected from malware. I would suggest doing some scans to be sure.

Also, just because you aren't overclocking, doesn't mean your computer isn't overheating. Take the side off after letting the computer run for a while, and you should be able to put your hand in to feel if it is warm or not. use compressed air to blow out any dust that may have formed, especially if it is covering any heatsinks.

Back