Computer problems

Ripskin

2[H]4U
I have an Asus A7V600 with an Athlon 2600+ 333 FSB, GF4 Ti4600, SB Audigy Gamer,1 Corsair XMS pc 3200 512 megs, and 2 WD 120GB + drives, dvd rom and burner.

Just put the system together, after many set up isues I get windows installed, but its not stable, took a while and changing the v core dip switch on the MB to get it to run at its normal 2.08 ghz, but not without getting the occasional BSOD of 0x0000008E/50 and 7E i believe. Just recently it was an
NV4.disp.dll error, that one only came up once after a few minutes of Flight Sim 2k4. 3ds freezes up shortly after loading. Generally the system works fine if i dont do anything that requires resourses.

From all that i can gather it sounds like a hardware problem, but Im not certain, and would like to know which device. Ive narrowed it down i think to the MB or proc. I tested the ram in other systems, and all of my devices worked perfectly a few days ago before i moved them into this system, and appear to be fine.

Is there a way i can make sure which bit of hardware or even software if im totally wrong is causing the stability issues? Ive updated all my drivers and have SP1 for winXP installed.

I'm at a loss here and welcome any help available!

pulled it out and put it in two friends computers and both ran it just fine playing games and other such apps, never heard of memtest, do i put it on a floppy or something and run it during start up?

While there might not be anything wrong with your Corsair memory, I have read in reviews on sites like newegg that Asus MOBO's do not like Corsair memory. Try a stick of Kingston or any other brand, and do make certain that the memory you replace your Corsair is NON-ECC, Asus MOBO's also do not like error correcting memory........ I don't know why, I just know it. Hope that helps............and BTW, welcome to the [H]

Okay, i just put in a 512 pc2100 generic stick, while i was typing this post the last time my monitor just went into standby mode while i was typing and wouldnt come back on after 3 hard shut downs and boots. turned the psu off changed ram and am now retyping. Interesting, never heard of that problem...thanks for the info!

so far its running fine, but i'll edit post and let you know after a little 3ds rendering / gaming.

Thanks, been to events and such, just never had anything to post.

Two hours of renderng in 3ds worked fine with the generic stick, and FS2k4 worked for about an hour untill a 0x0000008E "driver irql not less or equal" came up, going to try some more to see if anything else comes up.

Thanks for the tip on the Asus board, guess i need a new one. Never heard of that problem.

Back