• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Computer powers up but nothing else

DarkCyber

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
May 14, 2003
Messages
1,273
I have a computer I am working on for some one and they said they've had to to replace the RAM in it twice (doesn't sound good) and now it will not power up. What the pc does is it will power up...lights come on, cpu fan spins, psu fan spins...etc. but it will do nothing else. I have swapped out the ram and no good. It has on-board video and I have tried two different pci video cards and nothing still.

Anyone got a clue on how to test the motherboard and cpu if I can't get the pc to boot up?

Suggestions appreciated.
 
Power supply? This same kind of thing happens if you forget to plug in the 4 pin or 8 pin mobo connector. Or the PSU could be failing. It will light up and fans will spin and nothing else. No HDD chatter, nothing. Just a thought.
 
It's dead Jim.

(Get another motherboard to test, also see if anything happens if you try to boot with nothing in it, just the board and cpu - any error beeps? Clear bios/cmos, work from there.
 
Power supply? This same kind of thing happens if you forget to plug in the 4 pin or 8 pin mobo connector. Or the PSU could be failing. It will light up and fans will spin and nothing else. No HDD chatter, nothing. Just a thought.

Like cmadki4 stated... it could be the extra 4/8 pin mobo connector. Last year I was putting together a build for a buddy of mine at 3 AM and for the life of me couldn't figure out why the thing would not do anything after powering up. Turns out we forgot/ignored this connector!
 
Everything stays running when you boot it or does it power it all up, then shut back down?

Have you done any of this yet? http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1349426

Yes, everything stays running,...i.e. all the fans, hd spins also. I never get anything on video with on-board or other video card. I never get any beeps, never gets to the bios screen...nothing. Monitor just stays off, like the video never comes on.

Tried BartPE and nothing. Will try some of the other suggestions on that link tomorrow.

Everything is securely plugged into the motherboard including the 4 pin connector.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top