Computer over-heated & now won't turn back on

thegreywizard

Limp Gawd
So this is a first for my system, I noticed an odd plastic burning smell of some kind, it was faint. Then a couple minutes later my computer shut down.

I assumed it was the processor that got too hot and shut down before it died. I took the cooling fan off and no doubt it was pretty dusty, I cleaned it all down, put new thermal compound on and tried to turn it on and not a single thing.

Any suggestions on what to try next?

I'm running an i7 5820k

Asrock X99M Extreme 4

16gb or 32gb of memory

More than likely something blew up on either your PSU or Motherboard. If you smell the magic smoke, it got out and something is dead.

It sounds weird, but start sniffing around - that smell tends to stick, and your nose can help lead you to what exactly blew up. Smell the air outlet of the PSU, if it's strong there, that's what popped. Do not take that thing apart to look inside though.

Also, decent chance you probably see whatever it was once you really look.

If your CPU burns it would be from voltage and you wouldn't smell smoke, it would just die. Like Brian says, it's either the motherboard or PSU. You can test if your PSU is completely dead by doing the paper clip test. Completely unplug ALL the PSU connectors from the PC, then use a paper clip to jump the green power on pin with a black ground pin. If the PSU isn't dead, it will turn on and the PSU fans will spin.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.wikihow.com/Check-a-Power-Supply?amp=1

That's one thing. If your PSU is working, you can next uninstall the motherboard and examine it for signs of burnt transistors/resistors. It will be fairly obvious as you will see blackened/burned pieces on the motherboard upon closer inspection.

It was most definitely coming from the mobo/cpu/video card - I put my face by it and could smell it, but can't determine which. It's for sure not the PSU as that's in another chamber in my desk.

Damn ok, it might be the MOBO then, I'm going to have to take it apart more and inspect closer. I'll let you guys know if I have any more questions.

Thanks.

Yeah, if it happened very recently you can sniff for the burnt smell. That will give you a better idea of the location.

If you are checking the mobo the first plce to look at the ATX and EPS power conectors, I've had one melt on me and I wasn't even over clocking, just running stock. I suspect the plug had worked loose at some point and resistance was building up

If you are checking the mobo the first plce to look at the ATX and EPS power conectors, I've had one melt on me and I wasn't even over clocking, just running stock. I suspect the plug had worked loose at some point and resistance was building up

Agree - power connectors, filter capacitors, and VRMs are the usual culprits. VRMs and filter caps on video cards as well. Same thing inside the power supply really, but those you don't want to go into.

As an aside, when I've seen PSUs or motherboards die in this manner, often some of the RAM will be shot as well. I've not lost a CPU because of it though, they seem to be a good bit more durable.

I've also seen it where insulation on a wire has either rubbed or burnt through - usually because it's gotten kinked and damaged (like getting kinked by the case cover or snagged in a hard drive cage or something).

Did you forget to remove the protective plastic layer from your heatsink fan device? ha ha

So it seems it is the power supply. this is the one I have:

EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 220-P2-1000-XR 80+ PLATINUM 1000W Fully Modular EVGA ECO Mode Includes FREE Power On Self Tester Power Supply

I found the supplied detection tool and plugged it in and one my of cathodes on my reservoirs (no water yet, but they're Frozen Q helixs, they sick even with out water lol)

Anyways, it flickers for a split second but that's it, nothing else does anything else. I did register it with EVGA when I got it since it has a 10 year warranty on it. I'm gonna give them a call tomorrow, I'm sure their RMA process is easy enough. Just sucks being down at all and having to use a chromebook

EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 220-P2-1000-XR 80+ PLATINUM 1000W Fully Modular EVGA ECO Mode Includes FREE Power On Self Tester Power Supply

I found the supplied detection tool and plugged it in and one my of cathodes on my reservoirs (no water yet, but they're Frozen Q helixs, they sick even with out water lol)

Anyways, it flickers for a split second but that's it, nothing else does anything else. I did register it with EVGA when I got it since it has a 10 year warranty on it. I'm gonna give them a call tomorrow, I'm sure their RMA process is easy enough. Just sucks being down at all and having to use a chromebook

Ahh in the meantime go and buy a cheapie backup PSU from Bestbuy or local shop of choice. At least you can use your rig while you wait on your RMA. I have like 11 or 12 PSUs lol ... I just pick from a box full of them if I need a backup. Just junk I got over the years of building stuff.

EVGA says it all, I guess they look nice.

Back