Computer not Posting

PhillyPhantic

Weaksauce
Ok, here are my computer specs

P4 2.8
Asus p42800
Western Digital 120 IDE
512 Super Talent ram

I had a problem a little while ago where my sound was coming out with a hissing sound, after testing I found that it was my sound card was the problem. So I bought a new one, after this my computer would randomly freeze, I uninstalled the card. But now the computer does not even post, everything powers up case fans and everything but I don't get beeps. Occasionally the computer will make it and then load windows, but it freezes after a short while. Any suggestions?

Pull the video card and try to boot, listen for beeps... Pull the ram and try to boot, listen for beeps...etc...if you don't get any, start looking for a new mobo.... if you get the appropriate beeps, run memtest for at least four hours, 24 if you can...

another question, the green light is on when I turn the power on.

Um.. which one? The front panel light, or the one on the mobo? Either way, that doesn't mean that your board hasn't died....

Just for fun, you might want to tear it down, put the mobo on a piece of cardboard, install your cpu/hsf, one stick of ram and your video card and see if it posts correctly... if it does, add components, one at a time and see if you find a faulty part.... There is the possibility that you have a short somewhere... I doubt it, but it can't hurt to check.....

Could be a failing PSU. Do you have another PSU you could try?

/*------------- <cut n paste> -------------*/
If you have both the 20/24 pin main ATX connector plugged in, AND the 4-Pin ATX12V P4 CPU connector plugged in, then the board should boot fine.

You could test the PSU. Jump start it (on the main atx connector, short the green wire with any black wire, using a paperclip), and see if it stays on. If not, then its a faulty PSU. If it works then proceed.

Setup everything outside of the case, with the mobo on top of its cardboard box. Plug in only the essentials:
- PSU (namely: main 20/24-pin ATX connector and 4-pin ATX12V P4 CPU Connector)
- CPU w/ HSF
- Single stick of ram
- Videocard if there is no onboard video
- Monitor
- Keyboard
- System speaker/buzzer

* Use a screwdriver if your board doesnt have an onboard power switch. Jump the two power switch leads to turn the power on.

If it won't post, try different RAM slots. If it still won't post, pull out the ram (so no ram in the system) and listen for error beeps. If none, pull the vidcard and listen for error beeps. If none, re-seat the CPU/HSF and try again. Report back with results if you're still having issues.
/*------------- </cut n paste> -------------*/

Back