Computer not obtaining IP addy (WinXP)

Stormlifter

2[H]4U
Anyone ever had an issue with their computer not obtaining an IP address? My computer will NOT get an IP from my router, my friend's laptop gets online just fine without specifying an IP, but my computer will fail to get a connection unless I specify the address, then it works fine.

Doesn't matter if it's wired or wireless, same issue.

Found out that a service called "WebClient" is constantly stuck in "stopping" and won't restart or won't ever move from that.

I'm asuming that's svchost.exe and that's not a good thing cause without that my network cards can't modify internet files or anything necessary like that.

Anyone know how to fix this issue?

EDIT: Tried having it start disabled and then turning it on, it moved to "started", but as soon as I restart it shows as "stopping"

Tried that and it works for a bit and then stops working. Right now I'm connected by Wired in SafeMode, it works there, but not in normal, it can't get an IP, then when I force it one it connects but can't get internet

Reformated, and still.... but only with the wireless, guess the issue is with the wireless, it's wierd though... I can connect to my neighbors network, but not my own, crazy thing is my computer keeps the IP that my neighbor gave to me when it connects to my router.

Other people can connect to my router, but I cannot... some strange stuff

I've got an Atheros NIC and a Netgear Router, those are supposed to be highly compatible.

EDIT: when I tell my NIC to connect w/o using Super G and xR (both features my NIC reports the router having) I can get a connection, but it doesn't last all that long (it'll stay connected, but it'll stop having access to the internet or the router)... Also it's still using the IP I got from my neighbor's router.

Back