Computer noise through speakers

Chad11491

n00b
Hey all, recently my speakers (Klipsch promedia 2.1) have begun picking up my computers electrical noises and amplifying them. Such as video card coil whine, hdd spin/click , and the scrolling static from scrolling web pages. All of this is not noticeable normally, and the cards coil whine is near totally silent, although taking the side door off my fractal R4 I can clearly hear the pitch of the whine is the same as that on the speaker and at the exact same time (it modulates depending on load)

When I plug it into my iPhone it does not have this problem, neither does it do this when plugged into my eleven rack ( a guitar recording / amp sim preamp that basically is its' own soundcard)

I haven't checked to see if my monitor headphones do this yet, as I'm gone for the weekend, and was wondering if a dedicated sound card would solve this noise. It hasn't done this before today, has my on board soundcard (Realtek) lost its shielding or something?

Thanks.

EDIT: when the speaker volume is set high and you hear the noise, changing windows volume does nothing to the "buzz" volume. The speakers don't do this on any other device. This makes me think it is the onboard sound.

Are you using the same cable to plug your phone as the computer? Are you plugging the computer in via front panel jacks or rear panel?

Rear panel. And yep, 3.5mm jack to the phone, computer, and preamp (I used an adaptor for that).

This is a common complaint with integrated soundcards.

It is entirely possible that you have managed to "Train" yourself to notice these anomalies, which were there all along.

Generally, a PCI(-e) soundcard will eliminate most of this noise, though some of them are pretty cheap, so YMMV, the other option would be to use a digital out, (S/PDIF or toslink) to an external DAC (some multi-speaker systems have this option)

It's unplayably loud in things like Mechwarrior Online. Like louder than the game. It's odd. But I ordered a sound blaster z since it had that metal emi shield and was 80 (after card) at the egg. May be pointless, haha, but we'll see.

It could well be the onboard sound/motherboard going bad, but look at your psu as well. The speakers/amp don't have the problem since the problem disappears when you don't use the pc as a source.

You know, it may be the outlet the PSU is plugged into. At home the PSU is fine. Sometimes at my school apartment plugged into the surge protector the PSU is loud and makes funny noises. It's a corsair PSU btw. I'll check the outlets to see if they're getting the full load. Thanks for the suggestion!

Back