Computer Making High Pitch Sound

therealjustin

Limp Gawd
I built my computer very recently and everything is working great except for one small annoying sound. The problem is, it's rather loud now that it's all I can think about.

After searching around a bit it seems it's most likely a capacitor or coil whining that I hear. It's not any of my fans. My hard drive makes a sound something like it but that's not it.

I can't tell if its my video card(8800GTS 320) or my power supply(Antec Earthwatts 500 Watt). Both are under warranty but I just got my RMA'd motherboard back and would hate to have to go another 2-3 weeks without my new system yet again. Is it safe to apply a small amount hot glue to any coil's I find? I understand they need just enough to stop them from ibrating due to the electricity flowing through them. If they are loose they "sing".

Many Antec units are notorious for having a high pitched whine, particularly under load. In fact, I have a 500w smartpower just stop whining in the other room right now, lol. I would try hard to find another PSU and swap them, If you live near a Best Buy they don't charge a restocking fee for a opened PSU.

Well I just found out something that really pissed me off. I bought this unit because it was manufactured by Seasonic for Antec, or so I thought! I got the EA500D model, not the EA500. That means mine was made by Delta, the worlds largest power supply maker. That means it's a piece of crap. Screw Antec and screw Delta for making such a piece of fucking shit. My ears are about to fucking bleed!!! It's like a constant dog whistle from the moment you turn the system on to the moment you shut down.

I am relaxed.

It's just a shame companies have to try and make an even greater profit by using cheaper components when the EA500 was/is selling well anyway. Priced at around $100, I'm sure Antec/Seasonic were making some decent money. I replaced the Delta made EA500D with a Seasonic-made EA500 and the noise went away. It was a very simple fix, but it pisses me off when you pay the same amount and get a cheaper product. I paid for a EA500, not an EA500D.

Back