Computer makes room TOO HOT

Bennyb

2[H]4U
Ok, right now i am running the system in sig, and have recently come to the decision that this computer makes my room TOO effin hot. Is there some cooling solution to this problem which will not give me a dip in performance, mobility and reliability?

Thx in advance.

The comp sits at about 45 deg C idle, and about 52 under full load.

Watercooling would lower your CPU temps, but wouldn't really lower your room temps unless your radiator was positioned outside the room

Would running my fans at full speed be useful?

I run my powersupplies fan and a slowerspeed just because it makes so much damn noise?

Would lowering the vcore reduce heat? MY comp is NOT overclocked and i believe the vcore is at either 1.57, or 1.55...

ON a side note, i just opened my case for the first time in weeks to discover that my northbridge fan wasn't spinning. Is this bad?

*edit now its spinning at 2k RPMS, where as it used to spin at around 6K.... hmmmm

Replacement?

Look, it won't matter what cooling system you use unless you're pumping the heat out of the room. Almost the same amount of heat will be released into your room by a radiator as it would by a heatsink. Once you hit a stable temp, that means that any further heat generated by the system is being released into your room. The only solution is to cool your room down by other means, or underclock your computer.

sdk said:
Keep you window open like I do, and have a fan.
Ug, wish i could. If i leave my windows open my room gets filled with bugs. The screens are borked.

Summoner said:
Do what i do and run the AC 24/7

Central air == Parents are electricity nazis

If you're not overclocking, then set your vcore as low as it will go. Chances are your 2.4c will run at 2.4ghz on only 1.5v instead of 1.55-1.57 or whatever it's on now.

The other posters are right also. No way to prevent your computer from heating your room unless you exhaust the heat elsewhere (in other words, cut a small hole in the wall...and run ducting from the exhaust fans on your computer to that hole in the wall - it won't capture ALL the hot air, but a good portion of it and would be enough to lower your room temps a bit and trap the hot air between the walls...hopefully where it will stay and cool off)

I have a Hell 2400 oops meant dell....anyway its heats my room up to 84 in teh summer...i live in NJ

You could probably make your own screen if the ones you have in your windows arent working. You just need some fine mesh or even a net of some kind and just tape it around the window. Its a bit ghetto but a lot cheaper than other options :D

if the computer is making your entire room hot... there is nothing you can do with the pc to help that. it is a matter of your ventilation in your room. no matter what you do your pc is gonna be expelling hot air (which is good lol), so you need to find a way to get the hot air outta your room. once you do that, your pc temp will also prolly drop as the room gets cooler :D

IceWeasel said:
if the computer is making your entire room hot... there is nothing you can do with the pc to help that. it is a matter of your ventilation in your room. no matter what you do your pc is gonna be expelling hot air (which is good lol), so you need to find a way to get the hot air outta your room. once you do that, your pc temp will also prolly drop as the room gets cooler :D

Right... I understand that, And right now I am hoping that the rain kept the bugs in check for a day or 2, and am taking advantage of Both of my windows. Door is open, and i can still walk right outside my room to a nice 5-10 degree drop in temperature. :confused:

What kind of monitor are you useing? My guess is the monitor makes alot more heat than the computer itself. Not sure if LCD's are cooler but really monitors make alot of heat and that is prob something you could do something about by looking into a LCD.

Shimmerdark said:
What kind of monitor are you useing? My guess is the monitor makes alot more heat than the computer itself. Not sure if LCD's are cooler but really monitors make alot of heat and that is prob something you could do something about by looking into a LCD.

I think my monitor puts out just as much heat as the computer....it's a 21" Nokia 445Pro...I can tell a nice difference if I just shut my monitor off...room gets darker too...

Shimmerdark said:

Heh, i thought that too. My old dell m991 made So much heat i would turn it off if i was just resting my eyes.

This new 172x LCD makes almost NO HEAT...

I saw somebody create a duct that ran from the back of their case to their window (to the great outdoors, not the side of your case ;) ). They added a mount to the back of their case and ran a large circular hose/duct (kinda like you see in the back of clothes driers) from there to a piece of plywood with a circle cut in it. They mounted the hose/duct to the board. They then put the board between the window and the window sill, with the duct venting outward. The board ran the width of the window, not leaving the room open to the outdoors. Thus the heat from the puter was vented to the outdoors. I thought it was pretty slick. :cool:

Mr.Dearthian

Bennyb said:
ON a side note, i just opened my case for the first time in weeks to discover that my northbridge fan wasn't spinning. Is this bad?
*edit now its spinning at 2k RPMS, where as it used to spin at around 6K.... hmmmm
Replacement?
A replacement seems to be in order. The NB fans on the IC7 boards are notorious to fail. You could get a Swiftech MCX159 if you overclock and are a cooling freek (like me) or get a fanless Zalman. Both work great.

Take a box fan and put it behind your pc. Point it towards your door. Leave your door open. Should help exhaust a lot of the heat out of your room and into the rest of the house. You could also just stick bags of ice down your pants and that would keep you nice and cold too :).

Waa waa. My system with a vapochill and 4 raptors heats my room to 95 degrees. The rest of the house is 80.

Summoner said:
Do what i do and run the AC 24/7 :D
ditto i got central air and my system still heats up my room to high 80's overclocked when rest of house is in high 60's... got a small window unit air conditioner... everythings different now... my room is colder then the rest of the house typically :p :D

Yes, produced heat has to go somewhere, and unless you let it out of the room, you're going to continue to have the problem. My tiny office gets very hot even with our central air running full blast. You've got two solutions, one is easy and cheap, the other is expensive and tricky and may not solve the problem.

1) Fix your friggin screens on your windows. For crying out loud why worry about buying hundreds of dollars in water cooling equipment when all you need is a cheap window screen?

2) Run a water cooling setup that puts the the radiator outside the room or outside the house.

And even if you water cool, you still have two BIG heat generators that you can't do anything about. The power supply and the monitor. You're going to put off at least a couple hundred watts of heat from those no matter what you do.

Good luck.

i have three guys (including me) in my dorm and we are all folding for the horde 24/7, luckly our dorm has a really good A/C system :)

our room is always about 70 degrees

i dont know if this has been said, but...

opening your doors always helps. my room heats up really freakin quickly when i have multiple computers and my reciver running, and it all cools down when i open the doors and let the AC circulate.

Opening the door always helps, but I assumed he has the same problem the rest of us do. It's hard to play Doom3 on the 500w speaker system with the door open without getting the rest of the family up in arms. ;)

Advil said:
t's hard to play Doom3 on the 500w speaker system with the door open without getting the rest of the family up in arms. ;)
Time for headphones!
eggosmile.gif

I have this same problem.... I found box fans help some... as a temporary fix.
When I build my next house, I'm ganna make darn well sure the computer room is well cooled hehe.

Well... I just found that running my comp with the Side pannel off gives me a 7 degree drop in temperature...

I think it may be because i tried running with the intake fans turned off :p hmmmmmm....

i didn't see what kind of monitor you had running.

I find that most of my heat comes from my monitor. That during winter time I can leave my computer running with the monitor off and the temps will only be slightly higher in my room. But, if I leave the monitor on and it stays on there is a difference in the temps being a lot higher in the room.

You cpu, may seem like its really hot compared to room temps, but its kind of like having a candle compared to a space heater. The cpu doesnt bring a very large volume of heat.

Move to Minnesota. No bugs six month out of the year and sub-freezing temps a few months out of the year. And don't forget the crazy oveclocking you can do by just placing your tower outside in January. :D

If you have forced air cooling or heating, turn on the fan only. Draws up cool air from the basement and using a fraction of the energy that air conditioning would use. Not only would it help your room, but the whole house would be cooler. That would hopefully appease the energy nazi's.

I have the same problem, I can even feel the heat coming from under the desk although the AC on the other side of the room is on. I have 3 tornados and I run them at full speed, it still makes the room hotter, but the heat doesn't stay in one place as it does when I turn them off.

Youssef said:
I have the same problem, I can even feel the heat coming from under the desk although the AC on the other side of the room is on. I have 3 tornados and I run them at full speed, it still makes the room hotter, but the heat doesn't stay in one place as it does when I turn them off.
now you can work on a aircraft runway without ear protection.. because you have no hearing or you are at least tone deaf

Back