Computer makes noise when moving mouse.

Atwooooood

Weaksauce
I recently made a big hardware upgrade to my computer and I have noticed that whenever I move my mouse while in windows (Logitech G9x), I can hear a faint "frequency" sound coming from inside the case.Putting my ear inside the case, this sound seems to be coming from the PSU. I have done some googling and people have reported that disabling power saving options and turning off things like C1E in the bios has fixed the issue for them, but I have tried those things and nothing has worked.

I don't have another wired mouse, but I did plug in an older wireless mouse I had lying around and I couldn't hear the noise anymore. I have tried turning off any power saving modes and disabling suggested things in the bios, tried all the of USB ports, disabled onboard sound (some people suggested it might be interference with the onboard sound card), unplugged speakers altogether, and nothing has stopped the noise. Some people have also said that Corsair PSU's just make this noise, but I never noticed it on my older Corsair PSU I upgraded from. This is really not that big of an issue and the sound can only be heard in a quiet room with nothing else on and you really have to be listening for it, but I just wanted to check and see if this is normal. I just spent 900 dollars in upgrades and some peace of mind would just be nice.

The upgraded parts include:
Asus Sabertooth 990fx rev. 2
AMD FX-8350
Gskill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 MHZ
GTX 770 SC w/ ACX cooler
Corsair TX850M

I had an issue similar to this where I had strange frequencies whenever I moved the mouse. I also heard the sounds through my speakers. Turns out my issue was the power cord I used for my power supply. There must have been something with the ground in that cable.

I noticed that when I plugged in my older Corsair TX650 that it did the same thing, but I don't recall this occurring on my older motherboard. I have read that some Corsair power supplies will do that on some motherboards that have power saving features like epu engine and what not.

The sound has gotten a lot quieter to where it is almost inaudible unless i put my ear right behind the PSU, so I don't think that there is anything wrong with it. I just tend to over exaggerate when I hear noises on a new build. Thanks for your reply.

Just thought I would give an update. The sound has come back like before and not only does it when I move the mouse, but when loading certain things like webpages or when firing up a game, it makes the buzzing noise.

I contacted Corsair explaining the issue and they said that is not normal and recommended me RMA the unit. Since I just got it less than a month a go, I figured I might as well in case the integrity of the unit degrades over time.

I have heard sounds like this several times before. In each case it was the motherboard power regulation circuits (the large capacitors and inductors usually near the CPU). And in each case it was directly related to the power draw of the GPU. I suspect the same for you, as it occurs with mouse and other screen-changing actions.

This would be easy to test, merely by temporarily substituting a lower power video card.
Also, I assume that card has dual power connectors? Try two separate power feeds from the PSU (rather than the enclosed splitter, or two connectors on the same feed). That sometimes helps.

I will say that the noise happened before I got my new video card and psu when I was using my old geforce 9800gtx and TX650 in combination with my new cpu and motherboard. I got approved for an RMA but I'm reluctant to follow through with it as I think the problem will be there when they replace it and I also have to pay to ship it.

I don't have a low powered gpu to try as my only other one is the 9800 which has two 6 pin power slots and the new 770 has a 6 pin and an 8 pin. When you say to separate the feeds, do you mean using one of the 6 pin power cords and using like a molex to 6 pin for the other power connector?

Well, maybe there is something wrong with your new motherboard. It could have a bad capacitor or something.

That's something that I thought too, but I'm positive the sound is coming from the psu as I have assembled the computer outside of the case and it was clear where the sound was coming from.

I've read that some combinations of psu 's and motherboards can cause this. I just don't think RMA'ing the psu will be worth my time. Might just deal with it.

Back