Computer lockup issues on Windows XP system

RicKuRuKuS

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey all, having some issues with my computer locking up. Specs for the machine are in my sig. It is just freezing randomly at anytime sometimes after an hour sometimes after three minutes of the machine being on and does not seem to be related to CPU intensive processes. I built the computer about seven years ago and was wondering if the AS5 needed to be re applied (it did). After putting new AS5 on the CPU and heatsink I am stilll having problems.. I feel like it may be the motherboard going bad or the video card. I don`t really know why the video card would be the problem but I do have it slightly overclocked as I changed the BIOS on the card to triick it into thinking it was faster... Any tips? The freezing is extremely frustrating and I keep my machine and operating very clean in terms of programs and running processes.

warsaw

I would run memtest. What kind of power supply do you have?

Should I just purchase a new mobo / vid card / cpu combo ? I am at my wits end here...

Start troubleshooting base components only, strip system down and add components till something does not work. A faulty power supply can do funny thing. or even a bad hard drive.

Freezing began about a year ago and has progressively gotten worse... I haven't run memtest yet I will do that when I get home from my trip. I kind of hope its not the PSU because I just got this one a little over a year ago :/. Thanks for the help so far ill keep you posted on the memtest.

Hey all, having some issues with my computer locking up. Specs for the machine are in my sig. It is just freezing randomly at anytime sometimes after an hour sometimes after three minutes of the machine being on and does not seem to be related to CPU intensive processes. I built the computer about seven years ago and was wondering if the AS5 needed to be re applied (it did). After putting new AS5 on the CPU and heatsink I am stilll having problems.. I feel like it may be the motherboard going bad or the video card. I don`t really know why the video card would be the problem but I do have it slightly overclocked as I changed the BIOS on the card to triick it into thinking it was faster... Any tips? The freezing is extremely frustrating and I keep my machine and operating very clean in terms of programs and running processes.

If the RAM or motherboard or video card is/are the culprit(s), you're better off saving money for a complete new build at this point. You see, first off, Windows XP itself is slated to go completely EOL in terms of further support and bug and security fixes in March of 2014 (which means that your system will become increasingly vulnerable to hackers, viruses, spyware and other malware). Second, there is absolutely no cost-effective upgrade or replacement for any of the components of that old system: Replacement DDR1 RAM now costs more than $50 per GB - about five times higher than current DDR3 RAM (which your system is completely incompatible with). And any video card replacement or upgrade will be seriously limited by your CPU. Plus, your CPU is only compatible with similarly old chipsets which might no longer be properly supported in Windows 7.

Thus, at this point don't throw away good money after bad. Any "upgrade" that would provide even a minuscule improvement in performance and/or stability to that old system would cost you far more money than what that entire system is currently worth.

SO your problems cropped up after installing a new power supply? Do you have spare handy?

Back