Computer locking up

silk186

[H]ard|Gawd
The computer in my sig:
i5 2500k @ 4.3 GHz w/ hyper 212+
GA-Z68-UD3H-B3
MSI 280x 3GB
Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB

I have been running this very stable for many years. Recently I put a fresh install of win10 on and today it locked up three times. The first time while playing 'Ni no Kuni II Revenant Kingdom'. The computer felt very warm so I opened it up and it had a think layer of dust behind the fan on my heatsink. Pulled it off and gave it a proper cleaning.

Last night I was playing NieR - Automata and it ran smoothly. It was not running Ni no Kuni very smoothly today, it felt a bit laggy. When it locked up I had to hold the power button and it took many tries to get it to boot into windows. I played A Hat in Time for a little while and it locked up again with white horizontal lines on the screen. It took many tries to get it to boot into windows. I reinstalled the AMD drivers.

Boot repair didn't find fix anything, sfc/scannow and DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
I've also run windows defender, Malwarebytes and spy bot.

I think my previous overclock was at 4.2. this was reverted by the bios. 4.0 failed, 3.8 held but again it locked with a white screen while watching a video in youtube.

Any ideas on how to identify the problem?
Could it be software or most likely hardware?

Capture.PNG
Capture1.PNG

The following file necessary for Windows startup was corrupt: h:\boot\resources\custom\bootres.dll[/quote}

it locked up again with white horizontal lines on the screen. It took many tries to get it to boot into windows.

it locked with a white screen while watching a video in youtube.
that's how my msi 280x started acting right before it died. if you can try another gpu. if it works then id check about warranty/rma on that gpu. as suggested test your hdd to rule it out.

My guess is bad RAM or failing hard drive.
What makes you think memory or hard drive? According to the Samsung software my SSD is fine.
It could be the RAM but I don't know why it would lock up every time I start a game.
What is the best way to test the memory?

that's how my msi 280x started acting right before it died. if you can try another gpu. if it works then id check about warranty/rma on that gpu. as suggested test your hdd to rule it out.
It seems that the GPU is dying very suddenly. Now it freezes just as games are started.
I ran DDU to remove the AMD drivers and installed the newest drivers - froze
I ran DDU again and installed older drivers - froze
I tried FurMark and it locked up right away

I'm running Prime95 mixed right now it doesn't seem to have an issue.

I'm running Prime95 mixed right now it doesn't seem to have an issue.
because prime is for the cpu, so of course it will run. youll start getting problems with video playback next. then it will die.

Last edited:
I've pulled the GPU and FurMark passes.
I can't test the games that were crashing with the iGPU.
I'm going to bed and I will run memtest86 overnight.

Are you monitoring things while gaming like resource usage and temps?

Are you monitoring things while gaming like resource usage and temps?
No, as soon as a game starts the computer locks up and I have to hold the power button until it shuts down.

Hopefully the GPU is still under warranty.
I didn't think about that. Unfortunately, it is. 3 Years Warranty, bought in Feb 2014.

I will see what I can get for it on eBay 'parts', sell a few other things that have been sitting on my shelf and try to find a decent deal on a 1060 6GB.

Back