Computer issue..help me!

MsTigrr

n00b
So sometimes my computer doesnt want to boot up completely. It gets stuck on the Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe screen and then nothing. It works at sporadic times. Any ideas? I tried disconnecting and reconnecting things and nothing helps. Could it be that I just need a new motherboard?
Any advice would be great. I'm not so good with computers :(

MsTigrr said:
So sometimes my computer doesnt want to boot up completely. It gets stuck on the Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe screen and then nothing. It works at sporadic times. Any ideas? I tried disconnecting and reconnecting things and nothing helps. Could it be that I just need a new motherboard?
Any advice would be great. I'm not so good with computers :(

My friend this is a classic symptom of a bad power supply, I have replaced many power supplies at work and on my personal pc's in the past, because of this very same problem, usually the -5v line goes dead or is flaky which causes this problem (almost 99% of the psu's I replaced had this -5v line dead I tested all of them with a psu tester and found the same cause). Good Luck!!

jgdiaz said:
My friend this is a classic symptom of a bad power supply, I have replaced many power supplies at work and on my personal pc's in the past, because of this very same problem, usually the -5v line goes dead or is flaky which causes this problem (almost 99% of the psu's I replaced had this -5v line dead I tested all of them with a psu tester and found the same cause). Good Luck!!

You are likely seeing dead -5v lines on the PSUs because that voltage is no longer used, not because the PSU is dead. On many PSUs, the -5v line is dead, or at some floating level that may or may not be be close to -5v.

Since people like info on these things, here's what I turned up quickly on Google:

"If you look closely at the ST46F chart, you will notice that the -5V rail is absent. -5V is not used on newer computers. The -5V rail had been used for amplifiers in the past but you are not likely to find new hardware today requiring it. Just incase though, I contact SilverStone who said they can make the -5V active if requested by distributers. My system runs just fine, but I do admit I pause when I read the +3.5V on the -5V line, but this is most likely the motherboard not understanding the absence of -5V. After weeks of 24x7 use of the system, there have been no problems of any kind."

http://www.linuxis.us/linux/media/reviews/st46f/page4.html

To the original poster:

Sometimes that type of thing CAN be caused by a weak or failing PSU, but I'd look at some other things first. Set all speeds and voltages at stock settings and check to make sure you have the most recent BIOS. Clear the CMOS too. Then see if you still have the POST or boot problem. It could also be a RAM voltage/timing or hard drive problem, but start with the above things first. Always use stock settings when troubleshooting a problem like this.

The computer was running fine for a long time and this issue just came up. Its at stock settings.

MsTigrr said:
The computer was running fine for a long time and this issue just came up. Its at stock settings.

Did you clear the CMOS yet?

Try turning off the Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe splash screen in the BIOS setup so you can see any errors.

Back