Computer incredibly slow after Windows activation?

aliensRreal

Limp Gawd
I have a computer here that was heavily virus infected and needed a wipe and reinstall. After all that was complete, drivers found things were great, the pc fairly snappy. It seems that after Windows Activation that has changed dramatically. The only thing I can think of that might have caused this was when changing locations, I might have pulled the power cable too early.

Does anyone have some suggestions for me? I'd rather not reinstall Windows if it's not necessary.

I don't believe so. When shutting down it asked me about it, but I opted for the "Shut down without installing updates"...hopefully.

There should not be a direct relation there, between activation, and performance.

Hopefully you're behind a router with NAT..so that your computer is not exposed to the roaming vulnerabilities/exploits out there which can directly touch and infect your unupdated computer as they would if you were plugged right into a broadband modem with the computer sitting on a public IP address. If so, you might be infected already with some DCOM exploit or worm.

When reinstalling an OS, follow some basics...
Install only behind a NAT router, or not plugged into the internet if you don't have one.
Install motherboard/chipset drivers first...this lays down a good foundation.
Latest video, sound, NIC drivers, any other peripherals
Hammer in the latest service pack and catchup on your Microsoft updates. Of not behind a NAT router, try to bring service packs over from some other media..instead of plugging in to download them. Only takes a minute or so for an outdated computer on a public IP to get hit.

Thank you for the information, but I am thinking the computer was unplugged during an update. A system restore back to just before one of the updates has fixed the problem.

All that you said will definitely be kept in mind though, very helpful :)

Back