Computer in separate room (suggestions welcome)

Aix.

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm considering moving my PC to a different room from my desk and I thought I'd check with [H] to see if anyone had any wisdom or suggestions for such a project. Longest required cable run would probably be about 14'-15'; I have 12+ devices that will require USB connections, plus 2 monitors. Desk is a sit-stand setup.

I'm thinking I would need a couple of powered USB hubs, but unfortunately searching for USB hubs requires wading through a sea of junky products - anyone familiar with a good quality hub or other solution?

Other than that, any other pitfalls I should consider?
- audio interface will be on the desk, so speakers will not need to run back to the PC
- Mostly USB-A requirements (HID, MIDI controllers)
- A couple of USB-C requirements, including data transfer from camera/phone

Appreciate any advice!

USB isnt that bad over that distance, but if you need Displayport, I'd get a fiber optic cable for reliability and imperviousness to EMI. They're worth the $80-$120 price (imo).

Reactions: Aix.
like this
Corning makes some optical thunderbolt 3 cables which you could use a thunderbolt 3 dock with, amazon makes them seem not super reliable though. Alternatively you could daisy chain some thunderbolt devices and use cheaper cables lol.

Back