• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Computer in separate room (suggestions welcome)

Aix.

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 30, 2010
Messages
1,959
I'm considering moving my PC to a different room from my desk and I thought I'd check with [H] to see if anyone had any wisdom or suggestions for such a project. Longest required cable run would probably be about 14'-15'; I have 12+ devices that will require USB connections, plus 2 monitors. Desk is a sit-stand setup.

I'm thinking I would need a couple of powered USB hubs, but unfortunately searching for USB hubs requires wading through a sea of junky products - anyone familiar with a good quality hub or other solution?

Other than that, any other pitfalls I should consider?
- audio interface will be on the desk, so speakers will not need to run back to the PC
- Mostly USB-A requirements (HID, MIDI controllers)
- A couple of USB-C requirements, including data transfer from camera/phone

Appreciate any advice!
 
USB isnt that bad over that distance, but if you need Displayport, I'd get a fiber optic cable for reliability and imperviousness to EMI. They're worth the $80-$120 price (imo).
 
  • Like
Reactions: Aix.
like this
Corning makes some optical thunderbolt 3 cables which you could use a thunderbolt 3 dock with, amazon makes them seem not super reliable though. Alternatively you could daisy chain some thunderbolt devices and use cheaper cables lol.
 
Back
Top