Computer i found in the Trash needs an OS

Ok, so basicly i found this computer in the trash the other day, i added all the components it needed(new CD drive, RAM, a floppy), and i need an OS to put on it. Its horribly old and i'm not sure if any version of linux would work on it. Could anyone lend me a hand in picking out an OS for this ancient rig?

Here are its specs:
Celeron 466 Mhz
32 Mbs RAM
8 Gb hard drive
Floppy i pulled out of another computer(one i got from a nice old lady :) )
48x CD drive (from the same ladys computer)
Its also got an integrated broadband network card

I'm not sure if any free OS would work in this thing and i really dont feel like spending much money on somthing i found in the trash. I just like to tinker around with stuff i find. Any suggestions would be greatly Appreciated!

PS. how would i get drivers for it?

Various Linux distros would work on it. Take a look at distros such as Zenwalk, Damn Small Linux, or Vector Linux, which are geared towards minimalism and lighter resource usage.

Also, don't use KDE 3 or Gnome 2.6, those are resource killers. Go for a minimal window manager like the various *boxes or FVWM.

thanks, i just discovered that the CD drive doesnt work though...

lol are there any OS's that i could fit onto a floppy?

What is it? A Dell, HP, Gateway ... or a 3rd party build? It is a PC right?
Kind of hard to recommend where to get drivers without knowing what it is.

And I agree that you need more RAM.

How did you establish that the CD drive wasn't working? Could be you need the original
OS install disk to make the IDE ports accessible. I know that certain older Gateways are that way.

Best thing would be to get some numbers from the board & go from there.

Its a compaq deskpro (has a windows 98 sticker on the outside), i would guess its from early '98 era because 466 is a pretty weak chip. I dunno though...

The CD drive "isnt working" because i cant seem to find a power connector for it. Its got an IDE but no power(couldnt even find an extra slot on the PSU). Also, the drive i'm using is too large to fit the slim PC... Basicly, it would be hanging out of the case. I think i'll upgrade the RAM to either 64 or 96 Mbs to get the minimum DSL requirement, then just use the machine for internet and schoolwork. And i think the IDEs are accessible because in the BIOS for the machine everything is recognized.

i cant find a power cord so i'm going to use a floppy version of linux(wolf or FD). Of course i really can't expect much form a 1.44 Mb OS can I?...

Back