Computer hardware for schools...

YeOldeStonecat

[H]F Junkie
We've done basic network stuff for a few small schools before...much of that involving consulting, design, etc. Not a whole lot of hardware as far as costs of projects go. I take care of the network of a small school...it's on an island, technically falls under a different state, but the island is dang close to my state and pretty much all services out there come from our state.

The school is K-12..and under 50 students. Yeah..small exclusive island. :)

They're going to purchase laptops for the students. They have a modest wireless solution, which I installed...but the product has ended up being..eh..."so-so". One of DLinks managed wireless setups, "thin" access points which pull their config from a special managed switch (DES1228 I think) that's actually used to control them (4 of them), I'm not crazy about the product...works fine for a few laptops on each AP surfing the internet, but she buckles under heavy load, and the switches burn out about every 1.5 years. :rolleyes: yeah...get what you pay for.

Anyways, I'd love to replace the whole wireless solution...get some nice HP ProCurve gear in there with a few more access points.

Now onto the meat of my question...aren't schools able to purchase computer hardware at deep discounts through special programs...authorized to sell to schools in the state they're in? I suppose I could just call one of our reps at Ingram Micro...but thought I'd yap some ears off here on the boards and see what feedback was.

the school districts I deal with generally buy their pcs directly from hp or dell. sometimes they'll do CDWG, jjst depends on their size I think. when we sell cisco network gear we have to work through Cisco's educational sales rep for the region. they always get HUGE discounts on MS, Cisco, VMware products.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

If cost is an issue, I bet you can find a company that is upgrading and will donate their older equipment. Will probably work 10 times faster than the equipment you have and it'll be free. Most hospitals and companies I know just throw this stuff away.

In our state, the schools can buy from a state government/education contract. They can buy just about anything that way - Software/Hardware/autos/etc.

As for the wireless, I work with 4 different school districts that have assigned laptops to their high school students. They are all using Cisco APs. The bigger two (20-25 APs) use the 4400 series controllers and 1131AG Lightweight APs. It's pretty solid, but of course pricey.

i've deployed some serious cisco wifi soultions in the past year or so. Pretty sweet stuff and the cisco AP's have a ridiculous range.

We used cisco switches, cisco wirelss lan controllers and cisco access points.

ERate and State Contracts are the way to go.

erate can have some huge discounts...

my nonprofit gets 90% reimbursement for networking equipment... installation... even administration...

once it hit's the desktop you gotta pay 100% for it, but that's it...

e-rate is the best thing to ever come along. It buys me all kinds of fun toys!

Now onto the meat of my question...aren't schools able to purchase computer hardware at deep discounts through special programs...authorized to sell to schools in the state they're in? I suppose I could just call one of our reps at Ingram Micro...but thought I'd yap some ears off here on the boards and see what feedback was.
Yes. We use CDW-G which offers discounts for education as well as companies who have won the state 'bid'.

The reality is though, the prices are not that great on hardware. Our state 'bid' winner charges $20 more for a specific access point that can be bought at Newegg. For software though, the discounts are absolutely massive. Places like CDW-G are used because their customer service is good and returns are fast. One of our local consultants don't give better prices than say, Newegg, but we will have a replacement part next day, before we even return what is broke.

Anyways. Make sure you instruct the staff to go over laptop safety. We have around 100 laptops in labs and the students absolutely destroy them. BUY EXTENDED WARRANTIES if you intend on working with this school for some time because you will use it.... a lot. I guess if this is some small, private school, the students will be better behaved but man, in public schools they are horribly behaved with the equipment. I've spent probably a week or two this last year alone just putting key caps back where they belong. Some students thing up is down, M is N and F is U ;)

Back