"Computer Habits" Of Gamers

1) Do you leave your computer on when not gaming?

Yes

2) Do you leave your computer on for long periods of time? If so, for how long? Hours? Days? Weeks?

On 24/7

2a) If you do just leave your system on, why?
Example: so you can just sit down and start gaming at any given time etc.

It's usually hosting something, sharing media, downloading something or uploading something in the background, I also remote in to it from work.

2b) Do you always shut your system off when not gaming? If so, why?

Never.

3) Do you eat and drink around your gaming rig/while gaming?

Yes, while gaming or not gaming, I eat at my desk.

4) Do you smoke around your gaming rig/while gaming?

Don't smoke

5) Do you dust/clean your rig often? If so, how often?

Every 3-6 months the air filters will get cleaned and I'll go at the HSFs with canned air, I should do it more often really but I don't really care that much, most of the components are replaced before this ever becomes an issue.

6) Do you let anyone else in your household use your rig for gaming?

I live alone and visitors aren't allowed to touch my PC, basic security practice.

7) Do you use your gaming rig strictly for gaming with another system for other things? Or do you use your main system for everything you do?
Example: work, general web browsing, video/audio work etc.

1 System for everything gaming, work and basic user habits such as browsing watching media, it's wired into my living room entertainment system. I do have an old server that hosts web/email/minecraft and a bunch of other stuff off my home connection.

8) Is your gaming rig out in the open, such as in your living room? Or do you have a separate room for your rig/where you game?

In the living room.

9) Are you a stickler for reformatting often? Or do you find no benefit and just don't bother?

I used to a lot back when it made a tangible difference, XP and prior OS's, maybe every 6 months, ever since Vista it simply hasn't been necessary.

minchar

Yeah, all of them.

2) Do you leave your computer on for long periods of time? If so, for how long? Hours? Days? Weeks?

Years. Reboots are only for stability increases and security fixes.

Quite a bit of wear on capacitors and devices with power cycles, rather just leave everything spun up so there isn't that uptake of current to destroy a bridge.

N/A

Just water and wasabi peas from time to time, otherwise I tend to eat elsewhere.

Nah, I don't really smoke other than the occasional cigar, and that'd be outside or at a venue.

Every week. Yank the side off of the case, blast it with the Datavac. Yank the filters, vacuum them. Vacuum the room, move on.

No. Girlfriend has her own PC, and there is a guest PC with a GTX285 SLI in it in the spare bedroom.

7) Do you use your gaming rig strictly for gaming with another system for other things? Or do you use your main system for everything you do?

Dedicated for gaming, with the exception of watching a movie over the network when the TV is otherwise occupied. I also have a dedicated machine as a music workstation. A notebook for communication/E-Mail/web browsing, and a few servers that have their own tasks.

8) Is your gaming rig out in the open, such as in your living room? Or do you have a separate room for your rig/where you game?

Wall between the grand room and living room, not visible from the living room. I wouldn't want guests staring at the screen -- with company over, you're supposed to entertain them, not sit at a computer and ignore them.

9) Are you a stickler for reformatting often? Or do you find no benefit and just don't bother?

Excessive threshold re-located sectors reported by S.M.A.R.T. requires attention and a low-level, otherwise the only time I format is when there is a new file system required by an OS, or before repurposing the disk(s).

Yes.

I only turn it off if I'm taking it with me (laptop) out of town for personal reasons.

I may need to remote into it from abroad (work) to skirt web filters. It's easier to just download it to the FTP on my laptop than go plug into the cable modem to bypass the filters.

Isn't this the same questions as above? No.

Drink, yes. Eat, seldom. A granola bar maybe, not dinner.

N/A

I have a cloth sitting on top of the docking station. I dust it weekly.

No.

Gaming, VMware, browsing, general productivity.

In my 2nd bedroom / computer room. My wife's laptop is here, as well as my file server and VMware server.

I used to be, but with 7, I've found I need to do it less and less. Now I'm on 8, and have had the same image running since August. Prior to that, I was running on an install of 7 that I first set up in October of 2011 when I bought a new SSD. I do keep a backup image of a post-installation & tweaks state though.

Only If I'm downloading.

Not really, occasionally 24hrs straight.. average 5-7 hrs on

Downloads/updates.

I try to.

Yes, but my tower sits up high on a desk further away so it's safer.

Never, I go outside to smoke.

About every 2 months, near complete disassembly dust, blow and wipe, put it all back together takes 2-4 hrs.

No.

This is my only system.

My room.

I reformat every 6 to 12 months & back when I used a hdd for boot I would wipe with killdisk prior to installing.

No, I take excessive advantage of my PCs sleep mode, so my PC is in standby most of the time.

No, one day is too long for me.

My PC wakes from sleep and restores my session in less than 5 seconds (no SSD, either!) no need to leave it on.

Yes, to save power. I don't host any downloads or perform any FaH style activities.

Yes! Breakfast at the keyboard every day, but I take care to cover my keyboard in a protective silicone film to reduce back-crumbing.

No, but I do burn incense, which contributes to the dust factor. When I do smoke, it is socially.

Every upgrade, my PC gets a full detail. This varies from 3-9 months.

Yes! I love hosting others on my PC and even invite them to do so! My system is not the fastest rig around, but it sure as hell beats up the console visuals my friends are used to, so I like to share that experience.

My system is a workstation first and a gaming rig second. I do 3D artwork and graphic design mostly, and game when I have the free time. Web browsing is covered by both my Rig and my iPhone. I have a separate system for hosting my minecraft server which runs 24/7.

Separate room: my PC has a room dedicated to it.

Back durring the windows 98 and XP days, I was reinstalling windows every 3-6 months. Now I'm reinstalling whenever I notice software bloat. Usually takes between 6 -12 months. I do see a huge benefit to reinstalling on a fresh format, but the time it takes to reinstall all of my working software after windows is frustrating.

I turn it off if I'm not using it for anything (not just gaming).

No... it's only on when I'm using it or downloading something. I like to conserve power, both to save on my bill and to fulfill my librul hippie environmentalist leanings.

My computer desk acts as my dining area, so I eat and drink around it often.

Don't smoke.

Not as often as I should. Maybe twice a year.

I live alone.

I have one rig for everything. Poor graduate students can't afford multiple PCs.

It is in my living room.

I used to do this somewhat often. Now, I only do it when I notice the machine slowing down, which is pretty damn rare on modern PCs. Laziness I suppose.

Yes.

I never turn it off. Unless the weather is bad outside and I happen to be home and/or it gets too hot in the room the computer is in and I'm trying to sleep.

• No need to worry about boot time.
  • I think that turning electronics off/on puts more wear on them. However I have no proof of that, but my stuff generally seems to last me a good long while.
  • I like to preform updates, downloads and scans while I am away from the computer.

I never turn my system off.

Drink, yes all the time. I will only eat certain food; nothing that will get all over my finger, then on my keyboard/mouse.

Not a smoker.

Yearly

Kids, not so much. Adults, yeah they use it often. My gaming rig isn't the only computer in the house however.

No I use the rig for everything. With the exception of an HTPC I pieced together with used parts.

It's in a separate room.

Alright, there were a few more questions I was going to throw in, but I forgot what they were, so that will do for now.

I reformat when something is broken. I've had this computer since late 2010 and I've only reformatted once since then.

Back when I had Windows 2k, I used to reformat often. Like every 3 - 6 months. Then I got an XP Laptop and that's about when my constant reformatting stopped. I think I installed Windows on that laptop a total of three times during the 3 years I had it, each time was due to getting a larger HDD installed. Never once reformatted unless you count the Day 1 reinstall to remove the Dell bloatware.

Yes.

If I know I'll be away for more than four hours then I power down the system. If it is a new game or DLC download then I leave the system on over night.

To download new games or DLCs.

No.

Yes.

No.

Yes. Once a week like clockwork.

Basically, no. I only allow trusted relatives or friends to use my main gaming rig.

Everything I do.

Separate office.

Unless a program or update borks my O.S. then I do not see the need.

Only If I need to leave it downloading something large.
Antivirus/spyware.
Defrag.

Unattended the most is 15min up to 8 hours if I leave it overnight with a large download, defrag, antivirus/antispyware while I sleep.

Reasons listed above. I usually don't just leave it on.

2b) Do you always shut your system off when not gaming?
If the PC has no purpose to be on or is not being used then it gets shut off.

Do you eat and drink around your gaming rig/while gaming?
Yes, but not messy things, I will get off it if I need 2 hands.

I don't smoke.

Every Month or two, unfortunately I live in an apartment that has carpeting and it creates a lot of dust.

No, I hate when ppl use my pc, specially if they change settings or dig around, so my pc is off access, they can use my spare pc.

My computer is not dedicated to only gaming, it's also used for web surfing, watching videos, processing pictures.

It's in the living room.

Only windows xp I had to do it every few months. On windows 7 unless I make big changes to my system hardware or it get's a real bad virus/spyware (hasn't happened yet).

Last edited:
No, I shut down at night and while I'm at work. Gotta pay the bills :(

No.

I'll only leave it on if I need to download or rip something.

I shut down at night and while I'm at work, otherwise its always on while I'm around.

Yes.

Don't smoke.

Clean the fans & filters about twice a month. More through as needed.

No.

Desktop is for gaming, movies and everyday activities. Laptop is a test platform for misc. programs so I don't clutter up the desktop with needless files.

Bedroom of my apartment.

Back in the days of Win98 through WinXP I reformatted several times a year but Win7 is quite stable. I only reformat when I upgrade a component (usually 18-24 months).

Of course, I don't solely use it for gaming.

Some times, but usually not more than a day, unless it takes that long to do something like format, etc.

No, I put it into hibernate.

Yes.

Don't smoke.

Probably once or twice a year.

Family, and friends.

Everything....

In my room.

Not really...

Yes only on weekends.

2-3 days.

Sit down, get a group of friends and start gaming. walk away and repeat.

After the weekend yes, I don't have the time on week days.

Yep.

Nope, I don't even smoke.

3-5 months.

Nope, /Forever alone.

Gaming pc is mostly watching movies and gaming only. Server does everything else.

I have a home office.

Around once or twice a year.

It depends, I'll keep it on if I have to do other work, but I always turn it off when going to bed. I don't like to keep devices on when I'm sleeping or not at home.

Hours, I never kept my computer on for longer than 12-16 hours.

---

See answer at question 1. Also, my computer is in my bedroom, I just prefer to have it unplugged when going to sleep.

Sometimes I drink a bit, but anything I eat I do inbetween in the kitchen.

No, I don't smoke.

Dusting two times a week, but I never opened my computer so far. (2,5 years old) I'm very strict with cleaning/dusting/vacuuming the house though. The computer shop remarked how clean my comp looked after two years when brought for a quick repair.

My parents aren't interested in games, but if they were they could use it,

Gaming, webbrowsing, video-editing, work, etc.

Computer is in my bedroom.

Never reformatted any computer I had before. When it slows down, I sometimes try to clean it out as much as possible though. (Defrag/software removal, etc) Always seemed to do the job in general.

Last edited:
Yes, because I'm usually using it for everything else.

Yes, all day while I'm awake most of the time because I'm usually using it for everything else.

I'm usually using it for everything else.

No, because I'm usually using it for everything else.

Yes, because nom nom nom.

No, because why the fuck would I want to damage every piece of property inside of my house?

I'll usually blast it out every six months or so.

I've got four rigs in my house, no need. Guests can use the guest rig, which is pretty beefy. (6950 2GB, 8GB RAM, Core i5, 256GB SSD). w00t.

I use it for everything, not just gaming.

To the left of my desk in my office. We have my wife's rig, my rig and the guest rig in our office.

Not since Windows 7. But on XP it was fairly regular. I never had Vista long enough to know. But I assume after SP1 it was better as well. That and not installing stupid or cracked shit helps.

Yes.

Never turned it off unless I go for holidays.

No. I am mostly downloading stuff or seeding. I love seeding.

Never.

Not a smoker.

I am not bothered with dust tbh. but I do cleaned the fans every few months. I learned a hard lesson why my video card got fried because the dust was closing off the fan intake vents.

No. I keep my rig clean. No eating, no drinking, no shit. But I am quite dust tolerant though hahaha.

Everything.

In my room. I locked my room whenever there is visitors.

I will either walk away and let it enter the sleep/hibernate mode (takes effect after 30 mins of idle) or I will explicitly send it to sleep when I am done using it.

Gaming rig? No. Other computers? Sometimes. Generally I try to take advantage of sleep modes and network based wakeup but I have a mac mini that does not seem to behave well in this manner so it seems to stay on all the time.

My other computers that I leave on are because I access them on occasion via the network (i.e. media sharing, administration and maintenance, etc). As mentioned above I try to use sleep modes and wake on demand features when I can because I don't see the point in letting things idle unnecessarily.

I only shut it off fully when I am leaving town for a few days like on vacation, etc. Else it is in sleep/hibernate mode because I use them "often enough" to not want to wait for bootup every time but not so often that I want them to run 24/7. My mac mini however stays on even when I am away since I can remote into it over the internet. However it is pretty energy efficient and that's partly why I bought it to begin with- to act as a server. I will turn off the monitors though since they will turn on if I VNC into my mac mini over the internet.

Sometimes. I used to a lot (practically daily) but now in my new place the kitchen is much further away and I don't spend as much time in the computer room so I tend not to. I have no problems eating/drinking next to my computers but I also always bring napkins/cloths to wipe my hands with.

Non-smoker

A wipe the exterior every other month or so. If it looks dirty I will open it and clean it but it sits in an area where it does not get much dust buildup. Also I have checked my dust filters after 4-6 months of operation and cannot find much buildup so I don't bother cleaning regularly. because I see no need. I do monitor temps and if I see something out of the ordinary I will clean.

I am the only occupant of my house but no I would not let others use my gaming rig. Mainly though because it has no useful software installed on it. If someone wants to use a computer usually it would be my laptop but really nowadays they are bringing their own device to connect to my network anyway so it doesn't happen often.

My gaming rig is 100% pure gaming only. Excepting my work-only, work-provided laptop, it is the only windows computer I have, and I only have it for PC games. As such, I have the absolute bare minimum of non-gaming software installed (ex: no PDF reader, no Office, etc) since I have other computers for general use (1 desktop one laptop) that use mac OSX.
Interesting to see how few people have "dedicated" gaming rigs

In my new place my 2 desktop computers are in a separate room. Before, my gaming rig was in the bedroom and main computer was in the living room.

I typically only reformat if I need to reinstall the OS, and I only do that if I am either upgrading the OS, doing large-scale hardware changes, or recovering from some grievous software error that my backups cannot address. My gaming rig probably will not see an OS upgrade for several years.

It's just for fun, and some off-the-cuff issue that came to mind, so here we go (feel free to elaborate on your answers):

Yes

Until for some reason we lose power or I go on vacation.

Not sure why.... I may actually turn on power saving now that I have a SSD.

No

Yes

Heck NO! I was a tech and smokers computer as so nasty!

Yes about 3 times a year. Possibly more.

Yeah as long as they wash their hands.

Main rig

Its in the office

I format about twice a year.

Yes.
It runs day and night
I also visit my normal website with it. I also encode movies on it.
No
Sure
No, I vape. I also vape at work. (electronic cig)
Yes, once a week.
Nope.
Some of the questions are repeats, refer above.
Dedicated computer room.
Now with Win7, I have not reformatted since it was installed.

Yes, with auto-sleep at 15 minutes of idle

never

It will shut itself down, or be ready for me to come back if only a few minutes

See above

Depends on food. Non-greasy, simple foods = ok. Water = ok. Most everything else is a maybe and dependant on game/food combo circumstances.

Non-smoker house.

Dust out/wipe down every few weeks. Needed as living in the desert means lots of dust

Nope - wife has her own gaming rig and kids have their own + plus consoles. My machine is MINE!

Primarily gaming, but is used for browsing and general work when necessary.

Living room is seperated into entertainment side and computer side, very obvious seperation when you walk into the room.

Use to be. Since Win 7 it's really not been part of my normal habits.

Here's one thing I've found can tell older gamers (especially old school FPS's): Invert Y axis. I'm the only person in my house that does this, and it drives me crazy whenever I have to hop on one of the other computers for a minute. Likewise if someone tries to use my machine they complain about my controls.

Not anymore, ugly electric bills this causes.

If im going to be home all day, then yes it'll stay on. Always off when i sleep.

If i need a positive Torrent ratio, i will leave it on all day, except when i sleep, i don't like the dust blowing in the direction of my bed. So this happens 3-5 days every 2 months or so.

Pretty much. I live with my parents currently so there is nothing to do at home except play games / study in my room anyways. Computer = music. Only thing that keeps me sane.

No, but yes if im going out which is 70% of the time.

Yes

Don't smoke.

4-6 months between cleaning.

Never

Everything

No and no

Not since windows 7.

Yes

On 24/7 for my main desktop/gaming rig. If i'm away from home for multiple days I will power it down.

-I access my computer via my mobile devices
-I like having my system ready to go at any given point. Pure convenience really.

No. See above

Yes, but not usually during a gaming session.

Don't smoke, N/A

I clean the fan filters about twice a month and use compressed air for the rest every 1-2 months.

No one needs to use it. I have 1 roomate that has his own gaming rig/console setup. I also have a spare gaming rig for LAN / friend use. I suppose if someone asked to get a few rounds in i'd let them.

Gaming, encoding, audio mixing and general entertainment (movies, browsing etc). Laptop is used for "work" (data entry/troubleshooting. etc.)

Gaming rig is in my bedroom, couch/consoles in living room.

Before windows 7, as with most, I would reinstall windows much more frequently. Roughly every 6-7 months. Now I reinstall mainly just for major hardware upgrades (new Mobo or boot drive).

1. If I am home then I will leave it on but if I am going out to work or anywhere else then I will turn it off unless I want a download to finish.

2. It is rare for my computer to be elft on for more than 24 hours.

2a. Usually it is because I have downloads running.

2b. Only if I am leaving my apt.

3. I do eat and drink around my computer but as soon as I can afford a dining room table then that habit will stop.

4. I smoke very rarely, usually only with certain people so this has happened maybe 3 times over the last few years.

5. I usually dust my rig out once a month.

6. If my friends are over and want to try a game out then I let them. I don't live with anybody.

7. I typically use this main system for everything but I also have a laptop and another computer. The laptop is actually at my desk and is mainly used for web surfing if my main rig is busy with a test or benchmark. The spare computer is an XP machine used specifically for XP games that my main computer won't play easily.

8. It is in my bedroom but as soon as I can get a TV for the front room then this will go in my spare room.

9. I used to be a big stickler but these days I try not to format if I can help it. Usually I only format when hardware upgrades force my hand. I keep the system defragged and clean on a weekly basis which helps.

Back