• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Computer gods - Help with desktop build not booting

V10Ace

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 13, 2012
Messages
164
Hopefully this is the correct forum section...


Specs:
Intel Core I3 4160
Samsung 850 EVO SSD
GSkill F3 Ripjaw 12800mhz
ASRock Micro ATX H81M-HDS mobo
Raidmax 550W PSU (not new, previously in it already)

Story: Upgrading my bro's desktop so he can listen to music and browse the web. All new parts except for the PSU. I have a new PSU on the way in case it happens to be the issue.

I cannot get this thing to show ANY signs of life when hitting the power button. No lights, nothing. I have the case connections all plugged in correctly to the motherboard. He hasn't turned his computer on in a few years so it was sitting collecting dust. I used a vacuum as well as compressed air to clean everything out. I didn't bother to see if it powered on before tearing it apart. I have scavenged through several troubleshooting guides around the web and none are helping me out.

Appreciate any help guys


UPDATE: Fixed the issue by not plugging in the front USB connector. Odd?
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the video! I did the paper clip trick and the power supply powers on. Back to troubleshooting..
 
The front USB connector that plugs into the motherboard is what is causing it to not power on at all. What an odd issue.
 
probably a short in the usb socket, two contact points touching...
 
probably a short in the usb socket, two contact points touching...

Well yeah, sounds like he also reused the old case, so who knows what condition it's in.

This is why we always tell people: if you can't get it working, remove the motherboard from the case, and also disconnect every expansion card and drive (just PSU + mobo + memory). It will boot if you have onboard video, or it will give you the classic "no VGA card found" beep combination.

It sounds crazy, but it simplifies troubleshooting :D
 
Well yeah, sounds like he also reused the old case, so who knows what condition it's in.

This is why we always tell people: if you can't get it working, remove the motherboard from the case, and also disconnect every expansion card and drive (just PSU + mobo + memory). It will boot if you have onboard video, or it will give you the classic "no VGA card found" beep combination.

It sounds crazy, but it simplifies troubleshooting :D

I found this idea just before finding the problem. Wasn't sure if it would power up without certain items plugged in. I removed everything from the motherboard and started plugging in one by one. I am reusing the old case, like I said cleaned it out and checked connections. The USB connector doesnt appear to have any defects.
 
Back
Top