Computer freezing, is it my video card?

Clear

Gawd
I have a 7900GT whose fan has been dying for the past several months. Today I think it finally bit the bullet or almost. Its still spinning, but very slowly, and now once I get my computer on it freezes after about 15 minutes no matter what I'm doing. The computer will freeze, and I'll get the looping sound effect for a little while until the machine freezes hard. This just started today when I got home from work.

Anyhow, if my video card is overheating, what will be happening? The interesting thing is that I'm not seeing any artifacting. The screen will just freeze. If I'm playing WoW, I'll be fine for 5-10 mins and then suddenly it'll get really choppy until it suddenly freezes. The computer is booting up fine, so I'm not sure what else could be causing this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, if it is my video card, anyone have a single slot card they would recommend (must be single slot or I would just upgrade to a 8800GTS right now)?

Thanks.

Anyhow, if my video card is overheating, what will be happening?

Exactly what you've just described in your post.

In my opinion any of the single slot X1950xxx series is a good choice, as long as DX10 is not a requirement for you right now...

I prefer nVidia, so I'm debating between a 7950GT or an 8600GTS...

Ok, do you want DX10 right now, or do you want to wait...maybe a new system in 6~8 months?

I really think that is the deciding factor right now.

8600GTS is... blah. The 1950 would be a better option, and the 7950 is expensive for the power.

Back