Computer freezing (even in bios) need help

Majinhoju

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey folks, I've got a problem. My computer has been freezing alot lately, mostly when i'm booting up the computer or just after i've logged into windows. and when it freezes i have to either cut the power or hit the reset button. also, sometimes when booting the computer, it powers and sounds normal, but there's no display. sometimes it takes a few reboots to get an image back.

and once, just a few minutes ago, on the black verying dmi pool screen, it frooze there and the background turned red.

I'm thinking it's a hardware issue since it has frozen on the bios screen before loading windows.

i recently upgraded it a few months back.
here's the specs:

amd x2 5600 2.8
2gig ram
8800gt card
raidmax scorpio tower with 420w power supply
500gig hardrive
dvdrom
wireless network card

i'm sort of guessing that it may be the power supply. it's the same 420w power supply from when i first put together this machine as a p4 so it doesn't have all the power cables necessary for pci-e and sata devices. with everything you see on my spec list, using all the adapters to power these things i've used every single one of my molex power cables. so i could be stressing an old power supply.

but i'm not 100% so that's why i'm asking you guys. got any ideas? could it the motherboard? bad ram? bunk video card? is there a way i can isolate the problem and perform a proper diagnostic to find out?

Edit: i just wanted to add that my cpu and video cards temps are fine. cpu is usually around 30 degrees C and gpu around 40 degrees C

it very well could be the PSU , but you dont also mention the motherboard in the post what one are you running

i guess that would help too, lol, i forgot about that

it's a gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4
basically an nforce 570 sli motherboard
though i'm only running a single 8800gt

You do not mention if you are over clocking, if so reset your BIOS to the default settings and see if it becomes stable.

all stock speeds.

it's wierd, it's usually a bit wonky in during the first few boots of the day but tends to be stable after a while. i just had a to reboot it 3 or 4 times just now (and it's nearly 6am) and now it's finally running fine. and it'll probably run fine for the rest of the day.

but if try again tomorrow morning it'll be like trying to start an old car again.

Seconded on the PSU. :) I had a OCZ go bad on me and my computer would randomly lock up or shut down, even when it wasn't under load.

Also second the Corsair rec. I have a HX 620W and just got a VX 550W. Good stuff.

Thanks for the input folks :)

I have just ordered a second 8800gt card for my sli motherboard and nice 700w sli certified psu. i also ran memtest 86 and my ram passed fine.

if by chance it's not the power supply, i at least have more hardware coming that i can and narrow down the problem.

though one odd thing about the crashing it's usually just done on the first bunch of times i try starting the computer. but once i finally get it going it runs all day. i turn it off at night, try it again the next morning and same thing, it's like trying to get an old car to start. it boots, freezes at the bios, reboot again, freeze at the windows screen, reboot again, no display, turn off power switch on back, turn back on, rinse repeat, you get the idea.

does that sound typical of a psu going bad? trouble starting then fine after a while?

mem chips on the 8800 gt could be flaky. ive heard some can overclock but some cant even run properly at stock speeds. could be the motherboard as well.

got my new 8800gt and psu today. and yep, just as i thought, it was the psu.

my computer runs just great now and i love sli mode :)

thanks everyone!

Back