computer freezes

weltauge

n00b
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor 3.40 GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti
RAM: G.Skill F4-2400C15-8GTZRX
PSU: some "Cooler Master" 550 watts

Temperatures and workload of CPU and GPU seem fine to me.
Chkdsk did not find problems.
No virus. No unnecessary programs.

What could be the cause and how to find out and fix?

What info/explanation on the two quoted parts do you need?

No. Will do memtest tonight and report back tomorrow. It's freezing especially long in game Escape from Tarkov and/or when the game is opened in background and I'm clicking something in windows explorer or google chrome. Here the freezes are not so long.

Cooler Master Power PC ATX GX RS-550-ACAA-D3 550W 80 Plus Bronze SATA​

few years old

k, that should be ok. so it feezes but then starts working again? i would get the tool for your disk drive from the manufacturer and test you drive again with it.

is your bios up to date and have you installed the amd chipset drivers(new ones from them)

No.
I think i did. 7 months ago. How to check? Can't find anything in device manager. CPU-Z only says "Chipset AMD Ryzen SOC Rev. 00"

My PC will occasionally do that when gaming if steam is open in the background (notification icon in the corner) or if my overclock is too high, or my fan curve is too weak and my card is being clocked back over and over.r

No.
I think i did. 7 months ago. How to check? Can't find anything in device manager. CPU-Z only says "Chipset AMD Ryzen SOC Rev. 00"
the next section down in cpuz will say what bios version is install. check it, then go the the board's support page and if there is one newer bios than cpuz lists, grab and install it. then go to amd and grab the newest chipset driver, remove the old, reboot, install the new.

memtest did not show errors after 4 passes. Is 4 enough or do i have to do 8?
to me, yes. others , maybe not. to test after i build ill run a couple passes and call it good. if im actually suspecting errors, ill run over night or less if they show up.

I have now updated chipset-drivers and BIOS-version, deactivated some unnecessary programs in start up, tested SMART values of drives and increased swap file size.
Now besides the old long freezes i am getting microstuttering in game, that is many very short freezes plus 2 times in an hour maybe i got a black screen and no sound with pc still running forcing me to hard reset. Event viewer is not showing anything related to it as far as i can tell. Any ideas? What to do?

did you clear and resetup you bios after updating? if not, do.
swap file? your page file? let windows handle it.
went you built it, did you use the new sata cables? try swapping either way.
maybe download and run DDU and install the newest nvidia drivers.

How to clear BIOS? Only thing i set up again was the correct RAM speed. What else would i have to resetup?
Yeah, page file... ok.
Don't know. Will try.
Will try. Thanks!

How to clear BIOS? Only thing i set up again was the correct RAM speed. What else would i have to resetup?
turn off psu, pull battery, hit power a couple times, sit for a couple min, put in battery, turn on and reconfig bios.

Did not help the issue.
The microstutters were due to the increased page file size.

I always set a manual page file that is twice the size of my memory, for both minimum and maximum. That way it can't adjust "on the fly" and cause more hard drive usage.

Either way, as I said before, I get this in games if I have an overclock too high, steam is open or my fan curve isn't aggressive enough and my card is clocking up and down as it hits my temperate maximum.

I close steam, drop my overclock to 80% and set my fans to 100%.

You are posting this all over the web. I also noticed you posted on reddit and took it down. You mentioned there you had a pop and flash with this new PC. I would suggest you consider the "pop and flash" may have damaged the motherboard or other component causing this issue.

You are posting this all over the web. I also noticed you posted on reddit and took it down. You mentioned there you had a pop and flash with this new PC. I would suggest you consider the "pop and flash" may have damaged the motherboard or other component causing this issue.
Internet sleuth!

Did not take anything down on reddit.
Sorry, don't know what "pop and flash" means and can't find anything about it. Can you explain?

Back