• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Computer Freezes when accessing Windows 7 Homegroup

Format _C:

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Jun 12, 2001
Messages
4,188
I recently built a "new" computer out of spare parts and I am having trouble with it
I had Windows all set up and then I turned off the computer and the HDD would not spin up (Seagate FTL Out of warranty it was a 160GB SATA Drive) So I basically rebuilt my Windows Installation from scratch as I only saved my core files the night before the dead HDD. Anyway anytime I access a network source or even if another Homegroup computer comes online the computer will just freeze and I have to press the reset button (Which of course freaks out W7 and I lose all of my unsaved program information) does anyone know what can cause this? Or where my problem is? This problem does not effect any other of my computers on the network only the one I just built and my Router is a Netgear WNR3500 Hardware V1

Here are the specs of my Spare Parts Computer

Asus P5K-SE
Intel E5400
2 X 2GB of Crucial Ram
500GB SATA II Seagate Drive
Lite-On SOHR-5238S
NEC ND-3550
ATI 5450 PCI-E Video Card
Antec True Power II 430Watt
Coolermaster RC-690
HP Internal Card Reader

Thanks
 
Have you tried to update the mobo drivers? Also try plugging it into a different port on the router, if you haven't already.
 
Which drivers? If you mean the netcard I am using the ones that shipped with Windows 7
 
Which drivers? If you mean the netcard I am using the ones that shipped with Windows 7

Download them from the asus site, it is the first one under the LAN tab for your mobo. Check vista 64 as you OS. It is the same driver for all versions.
 
Just downloaded and installed the newer network drivers and it does not freeze anymore
Oh and my homegroup setting were wrong so I guess those two factors contributed to the error
Thanks
 
OK the problem is back again and this time I think the on-board NIC died as I can't access the internet or my Network and it disppered from the BIOS and device manager, So I need a new one :( is there any good brands to look out for in a 10/100/1000 network adapter? or are they all basically the same? I currently have an old 10/100 adapter in the computer but I need the extra speed (My Netgear router is 10/100/1000 capable)

Thanks
 
Back
Top