Computer Faster with single Raptor vice Raid 0

USMC2Hard4U

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Apr 4, 2003
Messages
6,157
For a while, I have been using 2x Raptors in Raid 0... I have tried and expirimented with 16K / 64K / and 128K Strip sizes. All seem to be good... 16K Booted up the fastest.

So I am going to Vista, and I install... Install time was about 40 minutes. Boot times were long at first, but the setup seemed fast. I was using the latest Intel Matrix Storage Drivers.

I decided to Buy a 500 GB WD SATA 300 HDD to store Movies and TV and stuff now that I am running Windows Vista Ultimate. However, I physically only have room for 2 hard drives in my case. So I decided to take out a raptor and run 2 single drives in ACHI mode (Because I was unsure if I wanted ACHI or IDE mode).

The install used its own drivers, and did not prompt me for my own ACHI drivers, good to go. The install took 20 minutes flat... and boot times deffinatly increased. I am completely shocked.

Now I have run no tests to accually see about MB/s and seek times, but I know my CPU utilization went down. But It was very little with raid anyway.
 
What kind of controller are you using? Built in to the motherboard? Maybe the drivers for that piece of hardware in Vista aren't up to par with the Windows XP drivers.

I would chalk it up to vista not being up to snuff quite yet.
 
I am using the Intel ICHR8 with Drivers from Intel's Site for Windows Vista
 
Back
Top