Computer Dust... How to prevent?

farmdwg

n00b
Since I built my latest rig, I have been trying to figure out how best to limit the amount of dust that enters it. I am at a loss. I have the following Aspire case and was wondering if anyone has any good ideas. Aspire X-pider

I have two inlet and two outlet fans. The front and the side are the inlet and the two rears are the outlet. I have a screen filter on the side but the front is the main dest entry.

Thanks.

From the looks of it, there using the basic standardized Antec/Chieftec clone case in which case, there should be a slot below the front intake where Antecs filter used to go. If there is, go buy a peice of light air cleaner foam that you can easily wash after it gets dirty. Cut it to size and simply slip into the slot.

If theres no slot, you only other option is to attach 80mm fan filter adapters and then remove the front case panel every so often to clean them.

That or clean your room more often :D

Fan Filters

Vaccuum the room often. Use a swiffer if you have tile or hardwood floors. We all shed. Dust, from what I hear, is made mostly of skin cells. Of course if you live in a dusty climate, using the sweeper often will hep. But like IceWind stated. Get you some filters and clean them about every month or sooner if you see buildup.

And I think I also heard that you should have more air input than output because otherwise dust gets sucked in between drives and other ooks and crannies.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Proper Previous Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

If you put it on a desk or something that raises it a few feet off the floor, your dust won't be NEARLY as bad.

most of the dust in a house is from your own skin or from your floor. so some solutions is moving your comp to a place where you dont sleep etc. (not an option for an die [H]) or get an other floor carpet :p

The biggest thing to do to reduce dust is get the thing off the floor, i have 2 pc's, one on the floor, one about 3 feet off the ground. the one on the floor gets about 5x the amount of dust as the other one.
Not just dust dust, like hair and other shit too. Dead animals, leaves, whatever comes within 5 feets of the front. I think I lost a sock in there once.

But seriously, put it a foot off the floor and it will stay alot cleaner.

There's the old ghetto pantyhose filter. Cut the toes off (do I even have to say NEW? :eek: ) pantyhose, drop your fans in, and remount them. Takes no space and you get 2-layer filtering.

Or just go to a shoe store and take a couple of the footies that they have for ladies to try on shoes with. Basically it is an ankle high stocking....less/no cutting involved.

Screen door mesh would be good at keeping some dust out while not being very restrictive.

Or you could get two big turbines that make TONS of noise, thatlll keep the dust out (this was done in a mod) sorry for being an ass.

But yeh id says raise it to your desk, clean often, and get filters

Back