• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Computer Dieing when under 75 - 100% load, Power Supply?

Hades12

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 23, 2005
Messages
291
I just put together a Monarch Hornet, it came with a 270watt enermax.

I have been using Folding at home to check out the system, when I set it to 100% load it will switch off after 1/2 to 1 hour. at 75% it will switch off after 1 - 2 hours. I have had it at 50% for the last two hours and it has not went off yet.

Could/mostlikey is it the PS causing the problem?

After it switchs off I have to pull the AC plug and wait before it will power back up.



I left out the system details.

It is an MSI mother board, 939, 3200+

1 HD, 1 Optical, 1 Floopy, Onboard Vid, and nic.
 
yeah if a system "turns itself off" without bluescreening or locking up, it is usually PSU related.
 
would you think it was a bad supply or an underrated one.

They have a 350 but it is another $30 for it.
 
A 270 watt IS a little low , but I doubt that the PSU is causing this problem...FAH will max out your CPU, but will not "load" any other components...My guess would be more heat related....a CPU running at 100% load will cause a lot of heat....When I run FAH on my system, my temps will go up 15-18 degrees after only a few minutes...

I would look at your cooling setup, try running it with the case open to see if it makes any difference.....
 
I'm gonna say YES, it is your power supply and it IS not enough for the system (especially SFF's heat etc its borderline), but it is not shutting off right away because the psu can supply the wattage at a lower temperature, but as soon as the internals of the enermax get too hot after 1-2hrs etc of high load, the output capacity drops which eventually causes the sudden shutdown.

Look for a solid 350w unit from Enermax, Antec, Xclico(?Spell), Seasonic, and many others..

I'm sure someone can reccommend you a great one, but any 350w~ unit from one of those manuf should work 100% for you :p
 
The CPU is 35C and the system shows 45C on the MSI temp tool. The extra sensors that come with the hornet say 90F as the internal case Temp.

The Hornet is a SFF.
 
well 90c no matter what is kinda hot, and you still need to get a new psu especially in that small box then. All the heat is accumilating in the box fromt the processor, and heating up the psu..

is it a normal ATX style unit, or do you have the get a certain type or special order from monarch? try to get that unit you had to pay 30bucks extra for.

..and edited last post in first part.
 
dchrsf said:
well 90c no matter what is kinda hot, and you still need to get a new psu especially in that small box then. All the heat is accumilating in the box fromt the processor, and heating up the psu..

is it a normal ATX style unit, or do you have the get a certain type or special order from monarch? try to get that unit you had to pay 30bucks extra for.

..and edited last post in first part.

90 F in the Case.

It is a M-atx, So the choices are kind of limited. I will take it in on moday and get it exchanged for the 350W model. I thought 270 was low shoud have upgraded while I was there. Live and learn.


Thanks for the Thoughts.
 
If I had to pull the AC cord to reset the machine so that it will boot up after shutdown usually means garbage in RAM that would not clear in my case.
 
If running the system with the case side panel removed helps, then you probably have a marginal PSU because 90F isn't enough to cause trouble otherwise. According to PC Power & Cooling, a 550W Enermax becomes a 366W PSU @ 104F, so if this relationship applies to other Enermaxes, then at 90F your 270W would be a 227W. C'T magazine said that XP2400+ systems consumed a max of 190W from their PSU, so maybe this isn't enough power for a 64-bit 3200+.
 
I have the same basic setup at my brothers except with a 6800GT in it and the 270w Enermax is fine. Monarch used to offer a Topower unit as the next step up that was 300w (i believe). I didn't se it answered specifically so I will ask.....how is it "just shutting off"?
 
Well I traded the Supply, I was going to get the toppower 350W that they offer, But they did not have any in stock so I just got another of the 270 unit. This one has the 24pin ATX like my MB does.

It lasted about 3 hours at 95% CPU, Temps were the same as before. I left it at idle all night and it was still on this morning, Hope it is still on when I get home from work.


When it shuts off there is no warning, it just powers down. The power LED blinks, and I have to pull the AC cord and let the power LED stop blinking before restarting the system.

A Friend said to switch the Power Supply fan so it is blowing the hot air into the case instead of pulling hot air from the case throught the PS.
 
SIf it was me I would switch to a different brand if possible switching the fan is not something I would do as permenant solution.
 
That may be what I have to do, But returning it to Monarch gets me a store credit and they only carry two M-atx supplys. After looking at the specs on the topmax it has less A on the 3.3 and on the 5 rail, So I am not sure if I want it.
 
Hades12 said:
That may be what I have to do, But returning it to Monarch gets me a store credit and they only carry two M-atx supplys. After looking at the specs on the topmax it has less A on the 3.3 and on the 5 rail, So I am not sure if I want it.

Modern systems don't employ the 5v or 3.3v to anywhere near their max. You won't miss the amperage on them.
 
Spectre said:
Modern systems don't employ the 5v or 3.3v to anywhere near their max. You won't miss the amperage on them.


That is good to know, Thanks
 
Well operation complete, The PS fan now blows into the case. Been running for about 50 minutes so far.

CPU 35C
System 47C

Case at 95 F.
 
Back
Top