computer crashing...

Joined
Apr 25, 2007
Messages
526
Hey all, I know there are a plethora of reasons for my computer to be crashing, specs are listed in my sig. Essentially it runs pretty well 95% of the time, but it tends to error out when trying to encode a movie via nero and during streaming shows via a website. It gives the green screen and says a lot fo stuff, "dumping memory" sticks out though.

My first guess is my memory, so I ran memtest86+ off of the UBCD. I haven't sat and watched it run, but everytime I check it it doesn't get past 22% or so - it seems like it starts over (not sure if that's even possible). Could this indicate something?

What checks should I run to narrow down the possibilities?
 
Is memtest finishing? It can do multiple passes so it could be looping. Which settings are you using?

Also, can't you see a count of errors? If so, how many?

Are you even sure it's hardware? Could it be drivers, codecs, or anything else? Windows reporting anything in the event log?
 
dumping memory is a standard windows thing to remove everything cached in the memory and create a temp file on the hard drive so that it can re-access the data later..

i would check your temps when encoding.. just incase.. check your NB temps.. also try default the system completely.. including memory and see if the error happens again.. then work your way through each setting and try encoding after each one.. just do a 10 minute clip or something.. see if you can narrow it down that way..
 
I have OCZ platinum RAM.

And I'll check on the test settings.

There are so many possible reasons for this happening it's maddening (and annoying). It could be driver related, it may have something to to do with recently installing the ATi 650 tuner card - seems like I've had problems ever since then and never really before that. Could the drivers from it be interfering with my GPU or something else causing the system to crash?
 
When it dumps memory does it give an error code and a probable cause like a driver? It could very well be memory if it doesn't get beyond 22% with memtest.
 
A clock interrupt wasn't received? That is a new BSOD to me.

The only think I can think of is maybe a driver is messing up interrupts, or somehow the processor is damaged (difficult to believe).

Try pulling that new hardware and see if it happens again.
 
as sirmonkey mentioned, check your temps and report back with them.
 
I'll check the temps and report back, but I highly doubt that's the issue, I've never seen the CPU above even 50C recently, but I'll check.
 
I ran prime for ~18 hours and highest core temp was 55 degrees... The psu is the corsair VX550.

I reset the bios to default and it seems to be running more stably, I will report back if I otice any crashing.
 
Do you get the error without the oc?

I know its a small oc, i was just curious...
So far no.... It seems very odd since I haven't modified the OC in about a year and it was perfectly fine the whole time. It seems as though problems started as soon as I installed the TV-Tuner, idk why though.
 
Have tried taking different sticks of ram out and seeing if you get the problem still? <--Time consuming I know :eek: but hey its worth a try.
 
Back
Top