Computer crashing, might be harddrive

Ayoralyn

Limp Gawd
hello everyone.

I'm posting here because I need help with a problem I started having today.

Basicly, my computer just freezes at random. I don't even have to be using the computer (It has to be on though, doh), and starts complaining, and then gives me a BSoD. Things is, when it restarts, or if I hit the restart button after being tired of waiting for too long, it can't detect my OS harddrive. If I turn the computer off, and on again, it detects it just fine, and it runs smoothly, until the next crash. there doesn't seem to be any warning, no symptoms or anything. Funny thing is though, it doesn't just freeze everything. I was play a game with a friend, the game froze up, but Skype for instanse didn't. Not right away at least. I couldn't get any ctrl-alt-del options either. It just said "Preparing security options", and it kept saying that until I hit the reset button. And it wasn't exactly frozen I guess, because the little logo was going round and round. It seems very weird to me.

I don't know what specs you need, I'm using windows 7 64 bit ultimate, and the harddrive in question is a Crucial M4 128 SSD. Not even a year old. I haven't done any software or hardware upgrades for a long time, and it's been running fine until today.

Is there any other info you need? I'd really apreciate any help I can get, as this is quite annoying. 2 hours tops seems to be what I can get before needing to reboot it.

I don't think so. How do I check what version it is?

When you start the update it will tell you what the FW is at currently and let you decide if you want to do it, make sure to follow the instructions on the site to avoid any headaches.

If your FW is older than 0009 this will also speed the drive up.

Let me know if this fixes the problem, you will also need a blank CD to do the update.

When you start the update it will tell you what the FW is at currently and let you decide if you want to do it, make sure to follow the instructions on the site to avoid any headaches.

If your FW is older than 0009 this will also speed the drive up.

Let me know if this fixes the problem, you will also need a blank CD to do the update.

It's done.

If my current version was the last 4 digits in the identified SSD, it was 0001 :/

But the program did list it as now being 0309.

Maybe I'm just imagining things because you told me, but I do believe I noticed the speed increase. Do you know how much of a increase it is?

Anyways, thanks a bunch for the quick reply, and precise information. Makes it a lot easier for noobs like me to do this stuff. I will update in a day or two if I haven't had any further problems. Or if I do, you'll be hearing from me a bit sooner :p

Have a good one sir.

Also, I just read the problem you think I have. It actually sounds VERY likely. I'm a bit relieved now, hoping that my computer is still on when I get up tomorrow morning :)

It should be about a 20% increase or so in read/write speeds but here is a decent idea of what it did for the slightly faster 256GB M4: http://www.storagereview.com/crucial_m4_ssd_review_firmware_0009 but overall going from 0001 to the newest FW you should notice a little boost.

I am glad to help, and thanks for posting back that you updated it. Let me know over the next few days how it goes, if this FW doesn't fix the issue I will be glad to help further.

I hope you have a good one as well.

It should be about a 20% increase or so in read/write speeds but here is a decent idea of what it did for the slightly faster 256GB M4: http://www.storagereview.com/crucial_m4_ssd_review_firmware_0009 but overall going from 0001 to the newest FW you should notice a little boost.

I am glad to help, and thanks for posting back that you updated it. Let me know over the next few days how it goes, if this FW doesn't fix the issue I will be glad to help further.

I hope you have a good one as well.

Computer is still running. I kind of knew it would since for the 2-3 hours I was online last night, there wasn't any problems. But you never know. Thanks a bunch for your assistance. I know it's kind of sad, but you just saved my life! :D

Computer is still running. I kind of knew it would since for the 2-3 hours I was online last night, there wasn't any problems. But you never know. Thanks a bunch for your assistance. I know it's kind of sad, but you just saved my life! :D

Glad to help! Thanks for coming back and letting me know that was the fix.

It's not sad, I understand completely, we all like our hardware to work correctly! hehe

Back