computer crashed after installing 8800 gt

gepetto

Limp Gawd
I was in windows just idle when all of a sudden I got a blue screen that said a thread or process crucial to the system etc.... along with one long continous LOUD tone. what do you think happened ? running 169.09 drivers on XP

(1) Are the correct wires plugged into the 8800gt?
(2) Did you reformat your Os when installing your new card? You don't have to always, but most of the time it's best to do.

If the 8800gt is like the 8800gtx, it has an onboard speaker that warns when power is too low for a warning.

My 8800gtx would usually squeal when I turned off my PC for a split second or so.

yes, the 8800GTS's have this too. and just to note, the video card speaker sounds NOTHING like a motherboard speaker. It's not beeps, it's a very shrill sound, high pitched. I too have experienced the noise, when powering down my rig by holding the power button. If the nouse that you are hearing is high pitched, it is your video card giving you a "not enough power" middle finger. You'll have to upgrade your PSU in most cases. First thing is first though, as already suggested, check your power connections to the cards PCI-E power input.

IIRC, on ATI cards, if a connector isn't plugged in, before POST it will display a "insufficient power, please plug in connector' error. Do nVidia cards not do this?

IIRC, on ATI cards, if a connector isn't plugged in, before POST it will display a "insufficient power, please plug in connector' error. Do nVidia cards not do this?

no, as already stated they make a high pitch sound at you.

no, as already stated they make a high pitch sound at you.

Yeah but that sounds ridiculous. They went ahead and did add notification (audio) but couldn't put up a message explaining exactly the problem? If ATI can, why can't nVidia?

The 7-series of cards will run the card in low-power mode until you fix the problem. :) I guess the 8-series cannot even pull enough power via PCIx16 to run in "low power," hence the beep! :D

i didnt reformat no. I was running 3dmark06 fine the other day then on the second day this happened. I have a 500 W PSU, you still think thats not enough ?

i didnt reformat no. I was running 3dmark06 fine the other day then on the second day this happened. I have a 500 W PSU, you still think thats not enough ?

wattage means little if the amperage ratings are insufficient, and personnally - I would rather hear beeping than see a message on the screen. ATI does the message on the screen, and won't release BIOS control if ou don't have sufficient power into the video card, nvidia does it differently. Neither is wrong, just different solutions to the same problem. I don't see you complaining about why ATI doesn't have a beeping noise from their cards...because you prefer the ati solution. accept it for what it is, or get a group together the lobby the card makers.

wattage means little if the amperage ratings are insufficient, and personnally - I would rather hear beeping than see a message on the screen. ATI does the message on the screen, and won't release BIOS control if ou don't have sufficient power into the video card, nvidia does it differently. Neither is wrong, just different solutions to the same problem. I don't see you complaining about why ATI doesn't have a beeping noise from their cards...because you prefer the ati solution. accept it for what it is, or get a group together the lobby the card makers.

It seems fairly obvious what the benefit of having a message on screen with the exact error (and solution) versus trying to diagnose why there was a beeping noise by posting in a forum.

Especially for most consumers.

I read the manual. Yet to install a ATi or Nvidia card without installing the needed cables.
Nice both offer a warning before damage occurs for those who fall under "most consumers".

It seems fairly obvious what the benefit of having a message on screen with the exact error (and solution) versus trying to diagnose why there was a beeping noise by posting in a forum.

Especially for most consumers.
True but if there is no signal to the monitor a beep could be quite handy.

ideally, we''d have both, as such, we don't...what the hell is the argument? this got off topic fast

I am still shocked that someone has actualy suggested a reformat to install a new video card...Idiots.:rolleyes:

I am still shocked that someone has actualy suggested a reformat to install a new video card...Idiots.:rolleyes:

Lol, I agree, I never had to reinstall an operating system due to a component such as a video card.

Then again, I've heard of many reformats as being the solution to A) NIC Problem, B) System memory, C) Sound Card

Does your motherboard come with voltage monitor like Asus Probe?
Check your voltages while running a game Windowed mode to see if you're seeing low voltages.

If me, I'd reseat the card and power connector. Possible a less than perfect connection.

Back