Computer continuous reboot

KSL

Weaksauce
My newly built system (probably 2 weeks old) is stuck in a infinite reboot loop. I ran prime95 and memtest86 when I first built it, and everything ran fine for 12hrs. Until yesterday the computer began to restart itself randomly. I have not installed anything new, or do I try to overclock it, so everything is at stock. I tried heading into the BIOS and reset all the settings but it decided to restart half way through it. Now I here the normal beep from the motherboard and then it would restart within 2-3 seconds.

I have the following parts:
Intel Q6600
OCZ Gold XTC PC2-6400 4GB 5-5-5-18
ASUS P5Q-Pro
ATI AIW X1900
Antec Earthwatts 650
WD 320 SATA HD
LG DVDRW

Can't get into safe-mode at all? I'm guessing at least XP SP2 or newer? Hit F8 and select the option to disable automatic reboot on system failure. Get the BSOD info, google it, and go from there.

Otherwise, just start stripping it down. Standard troubleshooting... pull external devices, swap around DIMMS, pull extra cards, etc.

Can't get into safe-mode at all? I'm guessing at least XP SP2 or newer? Hit F8 and select the option to disable automatic reboot on system failure. Get the BSOD info, google it, and go from there.

Otherwise, just start stripping it down. Standard troubleshooting... pull external devices, swap around DIMMS, pull extra cards, etc.

I am not able to get to the Windows XP boot screen at all. So, there is no F8 to be pushed, it would just restart right before it loads the IDE stuff.

Try pulling the power cord out of the power supply, push the power button on the front of the case a few times. Then put the clear cmos jumper on the 2/3 position. Pop the battery out and wait 30 minutes. Then reverse the procedure,ie; battery in/cmos jumper back to normal, plug the power cord back into power supply. If it boots to bios, set optimal settings, save and reboot. Then go into bios and try your daily settings, save and reboot again. Hopefully that works, if not post back here and there are a few other things to try.

Larry

Try pulling the power cord out of the power supply, push the power button on the front of the case a few times. Then put the clear cmos jumper on the 2/3 position. Pop the battery out and wait 30 minutes. Then reverse the procedure,ie; battery in/cmos jumper back to normal, plug the power cord back into power supply. If it boots to bios, set optimal settings, save and reboot. Then go into bios and try your daily settings, save and reboot again. Hopefully that works, if not post back here and there are a few other things to try.

Larry

Ok, I have tried resetting the CMOS using this method and it was a no go. I managed to get into once and I managed to update the Bios, but that still didn't fix the issue. Also I have played around reseating the ram at different dimms. Still stuck on the random reboots. Are there any other methods I have not tried yet?

Have you tried using just one stick of RAM? You might have a couple damaged sticks.

I'd go ahead and strip the thing out of the case.

Lay the motherboard on an anti-static bag, and just have the CPU+HSF, Ram, & Video.

Start from there and see if it at least posts. If it doesn't, as others have suggested try only one stick of ram and see where that gets you.

i would think ram. could be mobo too.

you should be able to check with lights or something you plug into the mobo and it may tell you any issues.

Back