Computer Build Decisions, Two diff Paths? Help

Kaolinchemist

Limp Gawd
Well I have gotten down to two completely different computer builds from avadirect. The builds are both listed below. Let me say that I play Counterstrike, HL2, DOD (Source Mod games) and some BF2. I also do a good bit of digital photography with RAW file editing in Paint Shop Pro X2. I cannot decide if I should get an overclocked Q6600 system, with more costly RAM or save money and go with stock speed Core2Duo 6750 with less expensive RAM and spend money saved on better video card. I am wondering if my computer use would really warrant the Overclocking and if it would be worth the extra money involved (better heatsink, $100 oclock fee, etc). The final prices are both within the same ballpark so I consider them to be equal in price. Also Avadirect has said that they are not limited to 20% overclocking, they will get it as high as they can with it being stable, all depending on cooling steup of course. I am guessing ~3.2 Ghz

First the Overclocked Q6600 Config:

GAMING PC, Core 2 Duo DDR2 Gaming System $2263.12 $2263.12
INTEL, Core™ 2 Quad Q6600 Quad-Core (SLACR G0 stepping), 2.4GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 8MB (2 x 4MB) L2 Cache, 65nm, 95W, EM64T EIST VT XD, Retail
ZALMAN, CNPS9700 Copper CPU Cooler, Socket LGA775/AMD754/939/940/AM2, Blue LED
ARCTIC COOLING, MX-2 High-Performance Thermal Compound, Non-Electrical Conductive
SERVICE, Overclocking, Quad-Core CPU, 10-20% Performance Increase
ABIT, IP35 Pro, LGA775, Intel P35, 1333MHz FSB, DDR2-800 8GB/4, PCIe x16 /2, SATA 3.0 Gbit/s RAID /6, HDA, GbLAN /2, FW /2, ATX, Retail
CORSAIR, 4GB (2 x 2GB) XMS2 DHX PC2-6400 DDR2 800MHz CL5 (5-5-5-18) 1.8V SDRAM DIMM, Non-ECC
eVGA, e-GeForce 9600GT SSC 740MHz, 512MB GDDR3 1950MHz, PCIe x16 SLI, DVI /2, HDTV/S-Video Out, Retail
SEAGATE, 320GB Barracuda 7200.10, SATA II 300MB/s, 7200-RPM, 16MB cache
SEAGATE, 500GB Barracuda 7200.10, SATA II 300MB/s, 7200-RPM, 16MB cache
RAID, No RAID, Independent HDD Drives
MITSUMI, Black Internal 1.44MB 3.5" Floppy Drive
LITE-ON, LH-20A1S Black/White 20x DVD±RW Dual-Layer Burner, SATA, Retail
COOLERMASTER, CM Stacker 830 Evolution (RC-830) Black Tower Case, EATX, No PSU, Aluminum, SLI Certified
CASE FAN, LED Fans Maximum Package, Blue
CUSTOM WIRING, Standard Wiring with Round Cables
PC POWER & COOLING, Silencer® 750W Quad (Black) Power Supply, 24-pin ATX12V EPS12V, Single +12V Rail, Quad SLI Ready
MICROSOFT, Windows XP Professional Edition w/ SP2c, OEM
SERVICE, OEM System Recovery (both secure HDD partition and bootable CD/DVD)
SERVICE, System Binder
GAMING PC, Gold Warranty Package (3 Year Limited Parts & Lifetime Labor Warranty, Express/Priority Service)

Now the Better Video Card config:

GAMING PC, Core 2 Duo DDR2 Gaming System $2168.60 $2168.60
INTEL, Core™ 2 Duo E6750 Dual-Core, 2.66GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 4MB L2 Cache, 65nm, 65W, EM64T EIST XD, Retail
COOLERMASTER, Hyper TX2 CPU Cooler, Socket 775/AM2, Copper/Aluminum, Retail
SERVICE, Do Not Overclock
ABIT, IP35 Pro, LGA775, Intel P35, 1333MHz FSB, DDR2-800 8GB/4, PCIe x16 /2, SATA 3.0 Gbit/s RAID /6, HDA, GbLAN /2, FW /2, ATX, Retail
G.SKILL, 4GB (2 x 2GB) PC2-6400 DDR2 800MHz CL5 (5-5-5-15) SDRAM DIMM, Non-ECC
eVGA, e-GeForce 8800 GTX 575MHz, 768MB DDR3 1.8MHz, PCIe x16 SLI, 2x DVI, HDTV/S-Video/Composite Out, Retail
COOLERMASTER, CM Stacker 830 Evolution (RC-830) Black Tower Case, EATX, No PSU, Aluminum, SLI Certified
PC POWER & COOLING, Silencer® 750W Quad (Black) Power Supply, 24-pin ATX12V EPS12V, Single +12V Rail, Quad SLI Ready
SERVICE, System Binder
GAMING PC, Gold Warranty Package (3 Year Limited Parts & Lifetime Labor Warranty, Express/Priority Service)

I really do not know what to expect from Overclocking and am looking to the experts whether the extra money would be better spent on a better video card.

Thanks!

I cannot decide if I should get an overclocked Q6600 system, with more costly RAM or save money and go with stock speed Core2Duo 6750 with less expensive RAM and spend money saved on better video card.

Actually, you do not need expensive RAM to overclock the Q6600. The G.SKILL 800MHz CL5 RAM is just fine. This is overclocking info for the Q6600, happily stolen from silent-circuit here :)

Q6600:
Multi x FSB, RAM Speed = Clock Speed
9 x 266Mhz, DDR2 533 RAM = 2.4Ghz <== Stock Speeds
9 x 333Mhz, DDR2 667 RAM = 3.0Ghz <== Good OC
9 x 400Mhz, DDR2 800 RAM = 3.6Ghz <== Excellent OC, About the Max

I am not familiar with the Zalman cooler you chose. For an overclock to 3.0GHz, I would recommend the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. If you want to try for the fastest overclock on air, then I recommend the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme with a good 120mm fan like a Yate Loon or Scythe S-Flex. You'll have to speak with Misha or Joe at AVA to see what they can provide you in fans.

With the video card, unless you are using a monitor > 1920 x 1200 resolution, the 8800GTS 512MB will match the GTX. With the changes I propose, you end up with:

GAMING PC, Core 2 Duo DDR2 Gaming System $2295.60 $2295.60
INTEL, Core™ 2 Quad Q6600 Quad-Core (SLACR G0 stepping), 2.4GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 8MB (2 x 4MB) L2 Cache, 65nm, 95W, EM64T EIST VT XD, Retail
ARCTIC COOLING, Freezer 7 Pro Quiet CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink, Socket 775, Ceramic Bearing, Retail
ARCTIC COOLING, MX-2 High-Performance Thermal Compound, Non-Electrical Conductive
SERVICE, Overclocking, Quad-Core CPU, 10-20% Performance Increase
G.SKILL, 4GB (2 x 2GB) PC2-6400 DDR2 800MHz CL4 (4-4-4-12) SDRAM DIMM, Non-ECC
eVGA, e-GeForce 8800 GTS 670MHz, 512MB DDR3 1940MHz, PCIe x16 SLI, 2x DVI, HDTV/S-Video/Composite Out, Retail
SERVICE, System Binder
SERVICE, Standard Shipping (UPS, DHL, or Fedex)

This would be a system I would be proud to own :)

Thanks Andon for reply,

now to throw another curveball, if you were definitely NOT gonna overclock, which of the two processors would you still choose the 6750 duo or 6600 quad?

Thanks again.

Well, honestly, for what you are doing, i would opt for the dual core. None of the programs you mention would use a quad core, and the mobo they give you will OC just fine in your own. Same with the memory.

id say switch the 6750 to the 8400 if you can find one in stock and then go with the 8400

Its on the new 45 nm so its super fast lol

Thanks Andon for reply,

now to throw another curveball, if you were definitely NOT gonna overclock, which of the two processors would you still choose the 6750 duo or 6600 quad?

At this point in time, there are really only two processors to consider, in my opinion. Either the Q6600, or the E8400 (it's stock speed is 3.0GHz). If you are NOT going to overclock, then I suggest the E8400. You would save about $43 getting the E8400 instead of the Q6600. You would also save money on the following, by not overclocking (whether you got the E8400 or the Q6600):

$31.36 : Use stock HSF instead of the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
$13.44 : No need for Arctic Cooling MX-2 thermal paste
$96.32 : Get the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L motherboard instead of the Abit IP35 Pro (of course, the motherboard you get will also be determined by which type of extra ports you need, e.g. Firewire or eSATA)

If you still need to save money, you could probably go with the Corsair CMPSU-620HX power supply and save $34.72. I don't think you'll need a 750W power supply. Heck, you could probably get by with the Corsair CMPSU-550VX and save $78.40. And don't worry, the Corsair PSUs are good ones :) Talk to Misha or Joe at AVA Direct and see what they think.

I'm not sure why you are considering NOT overclocking. If it's due to money, you might consider overclocking yourself (the guys in the Overclocking forum could help you), or say how much you want to spend, and we can configure based on that amount.

BTW, the reason I suggest the E8400 or the Q6600 w/ overclock, is because the sweet spot seems to be 3.0GHz - 3.2GHz for games. At the current time, you really only need the E8400 unless you are doing things like video encoding. However, I feel that in the future, we'll be seeing more games take advantage of multi-core CPUs. But that could be two to three years down the line, in which case you can upgrade the CPU at that time if you get the E8400 now. Because any P35 motherboard you get will support 45nm CPUs, any future 45nm CPUs based on FSB architecture will fit in the motherboard. Those could become real cheap in a year or two, when CPUs based on the Nehalem architecture become prevalent.

Anyway, I hope this helps :)

Every comment helps, and I apprciate all of them. I may actually downgrade my PSU but the only reason I was thinking of keeping the 750W PPC was so it could handle future hardware upgrades.

Bill

Keep the power supply if your budget allows. Alternatively, Thermaltake also offers really nice PSUs for a few bucks less.

A good power supply is like a good heart - If it isn't putting out enough juice, you'll see a drop in performance and stability. As odd as it sounds, it can even help out a bit with overclocking at times!

Processor: Oh it's such a mixed bag here! Intel will eventually fill in the quad core gap and release lower priced quad core options, but for now a Q6600 is still a nice choice, despite being slightly long in the tooth.

Most of them will overclock nicely to a 1333MHz front side bus, for a great boost in speed. Because they're an older generation, they put out a bit more heat, but to date, we haven't seen an overclocked Q6600 that a Zalman 9700 cooler didn't love :)

Zach,

Thanks for input, some people have said that overclocking will make the computer components die faster due to increased heat. Is there any truth to this because I NEED to keep my new computer for at least 4 years, more likely 5. If OC'ing would shorten the life even with adequate airflow I may stay away and go with stock speed.

It's hard to say actually. *puts on his Bill Nye the science guy hat* Processors have an expected lifetime of around 20 years or so (or at least they did when I worked for XXXXX) and they finally die due to a process called 'electromigration' in which a conductor's atoms are literally moved out of place by conducting electrons.

If you ever have access to an electron microscope, it looks something like a little whirlwind inside your processor.

As ICs get smaller, electromigration happens sooner. I dealt with older processors, so the effect was never much worry, as the die size and fabrication was quite a bit fatter than today's 45nm CPUs! That actually works in the Q6600's favor.

Depending on how far you overclock, I'd give the overclocked processor an estimated lifespan of about 4-5 years, which sounds perfect. Processors are pretty robust despite their tiny size and we're pelased to say that we almost never see one go bad on its own. Literally 1-2 a YEAR out of thousands :)

And in 4-5 years, if your Q6600 were to die, you could pick up a faster replacement for under a hundred dollars. The socket 775 platform will EOL by then, but there's always processors that linger around for years afterwards, so I wouldn't worry about killing your comp with a marginal overclock. Hope that helps!!

Zach,

Thanks for input, some people have said that overclocking will make the computer components die faster due to increased heat. Is there any truth to this because I NEED to keep my new computer for at least 4 years, more likely 5. If OC'ing would shorten the life even with adequate airflow I may stay away and go with stock speed.
Absolutely OC'ing will decrease the lifespan of all units involved. HOWEVER, you need to look at it in relative terms.
For example, I plan on having the setup in my sig for a VERY long time. I know that upping the FSB of the cpu from 266 to 320 mhz will shorten the lifespan of the mobo, psu and cpu. But considering at stock voltages there's no reason for those parts not to run for 10 years or so, a slight oc will not affect me in the projected span of the parts.

3.2ghz on the q6700 is not a high OC by any means, the mobo is meant to support up to like 500mhz, and that fsb is slower than teh rated 400mhz of the ram. If it all lasts me 6 years instead of 10, I don't care.

Just keep in mind that the greater the OC, the greater the impact on life.

Well thanks to everyones input and ideas I think I am just about ready to pull the trigger on my Avadirect order.

I have decided on the following, going with the 5 yr warranty instead of 3 upgrade instead of the 9600GT to 8800GTX card upgrade. I think this setup should do all I ever need to do for 5 years when it comes time to upgrade again. I assume with the Stacker 830 case it should be easy enough to upgrade parts. That leave sme with my LAST question;

Is there any advantage of Stacker 832 over *830?

GAMING PC, Core 2 DDR2 Gaming System $2206.68 $2206.68
INTEL, Core™ 2 Duo E8400 Dual-Core, 3.0GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 6MB L2 Cache, 45nm, 65W, EM64T EIST VT XD, Retail
SERVICE, Do Not Overclock
G.SKILL, 4GB (2 x 2GB) PC2-6400 DDR2 800MHz CL5 (5-5-5-15) SDRAM DIMM, Non-ECC
eVGA, e-GeForce 9600GT SSC 740MHz, 512MB GDDR3 1950MHz, PCIe x16 SLI, DVI /2, HDTV/S-Video Out, Retail
CASE FAN, NON-LED, Fans Maximum Package, Low Noise
SERVICE, System Binder
GAMING PC, Platinum Warranty Package (5 Year Limited Parts & Lifetime Labor Warranty, Express/Priority Service)
SERVICE, Standard Shipping (UPS, DHL, or Fedex)

The 832 looks a bit nicer. Do they offer any Lian Li or Silverstone cases as an alternative? The coolermaster is nice, but the side doors are a bit flimsy and are sometimes prone to humming when the machine's at full tilt. The large side grill is usually the culprit and if you experience the humming, a tiny bit of gasket seal along the seams on the *inside* of the door can quiet things up.

Alternatively, even a bit of hot glue can do the trick. Either solution is a really easy fix :)

GL and congrats on the new system!

Thanks, they offer a large group of Lian Li and some Silverstone cases. I am just trying to get one that will be upgradeable for many moons.

The Silverstone Cases that are available are

Silverstonecases-vi.jpg

The Lian Li Cases:

LianLiCases-vi.jpg

and Finally Thermaltake:

Thermaltakecases-vi.jpg

I had just heard good things about Stacker 830 but if there is a better full tower option for about the same price please recommend one! I just want one to last me for many upgrades and looks somewhat cool. :cool:

What's another config change, heck I've already made several what's another one gonna hurt :)

I know you're getting close to a final decision on the CPU, but I would strongly suggest you go with the Q9450 if you are going to hang on to this system for 5 years. You can always upgrade the video and memory later. The Stacker 830 is also a fantastic case - we've been using it for OPC for the past year (up until now)

Nice rig.

Okay to prove I am an idoiot....

"What is OPC?"

and the Q9450 because it is the latest and greatest or any other reason?

Thanks everyone

The Q9450 also has L2 12MB cache, as opposed to L2 8MB cache. Not too much of a difference, but enough to improve performance.
Also, we just recieved the Q9550, and as far as I know no one has it. It offers overclocking 3.6Ghz and up. It is one of the most stable CPU's to drop fresh on the market.

Oh hey, they have some really nice cases on there!
You cannot go wrong with the Silverstone Temjin 10 (if it's available, configure it with the ESA version). The case is incredibly sturdy, has outstanding airflow and a great deal of room for future expandability.

Alternatively, my personal favorite case is the Mozart TX - The case is gigantic, but there's a goodly amount of options in terms of future expandability - VFD screen, a second computer or the world's largest liquid cooling system.

I hate to be down on the coolermaster stacker, as they're nice looking cases and very popular, but I've found that the flimsy doors can lead to vibration noise and the airflow is not very good.

There are four case fans on the side door which are for the most part superfluous - If you go with liquid cooling, they aren't needed at all and if you go with air cooling, they mess up the intake/outake balance, as you'll have up two five fans bringing air in and only two fans pushing air out.

What happens is that the air looks for any other way to escape and there are far too many in the Coolermaster - wide gaps between the door and chassis, a hole in the bottom of the chassis (that's meant for a radiator, but mostly gets in the way in SLI systems if you put in anything aside from a Danger Den stealth series) and even back out through the fans that are trying to push air in.

The Silverstone has an outstandingly effective vent in the middle of the chassis, a large 2 x 120mm opening at the top (which can also hold a radiator with the optional RADSUPPORT03 rails) and the aluminum is very thick which quiets the computer and dampens vibrations.

The Mozart TX is arguably even better, even with the stock orange thermaltake fans - They push out an incredible amount of air but are extremely quiet. PM me and I can share some unfortunately blurry pictures of nice TJ10 and Mozart TX builds.

We've done a couple of builds with the Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P80 chassis as well, but I haven't personally gotten a very close look at it - It's a nice looking case though and Lian Li always does quality work on their cases.

I agree 100% with AVAdirect Joe, also. The Q9450's larger cache makes a noticeable difference in performance and is worth the upgrade cost by all means.

Enjoy the new system, you lucky guy - My wife will not allow me to upgrade for another six months after going on an upgrade rampage this last year :)

Honest opinon, either of you:

Performance wise overclocked, is the QX9650 worth the extra money? Because it is much more expensive then a Q9550 or a Q9450. I'm talking liquid cooled overclocked as well.

Q9550009.jpg

Q9550002.jpg

UPDATE: We just overclocked the Q9550 to 3.8Ghz! Currently working on it further...stay tuned for more updates.

That is a custom water cooling system, featuring the following:

COOLIT, FZA1C Freezone Elite Thermoelectric CPU Cooler

Alphacool NexXxoS HC 240-LE Premium Radiator

Koolance reservior & pump

Swiftech APOGEE GTX Extreme Performance Universal Water

Update: We have now reached 4.0Ghz with the Q9550! Using the custom water cooling kit, with these selected components.

So we can't order that on the site, :p

All of our liquid-cooled systems are truly custom and even though our description calls Swiftech, we always use other companies like: EK, Alphacool, DangerDan, Koolance and others in those kits. You as a customer would know exactly what gets installed in your rig of course...

Every single rig that's liquid-cooled is unique that's why we love liquid..Should you request your own list of parts, we'll gladly work up the quote for you.

Misha

That's a sweet setup! The Koolance rp-950 is a nice pump/reservior. For some reason, our Q9550s haven't arrived yet, but now I can't wait to open up the throttle and see how far we can take them :D

Honest opinon, either of you:

Performance wise overclocked, is the QX9650 worth the extra money? Because it is much more expensive then a Q9550 or a Q9450. I'm talking liquid cooled overclocked as well.

I'd definitely go with the Q9450 or Q9550 - The price difference is really large and can be put towards a better graphics card setup, or a bit more RAM.

Also, with the results that AVA Direct has seen, they look to be great overclockers as well! Hopefully we'll get our Q9550s in tomorrow's truck and can provide some firsthand reports as well. With all the new processors and graphics cards come to market, March 2008 may be one of the most significant months for enthusiasts in history.

Here is a screenshot of the system specifications from our overclocked Q9550!

Q9550_Overclock.jpg

As you can see, the voltage is 1.038-1.137, meaning you can expect a longer life span out of this processor.

you have any more screenshots and confirmation of this being stable??

Not to shabby at all..not worth getting a QX9650 when you can get these numbers out of a Q9550

Hey Joe, I just sent you a PM about my interests in the Q9550. Why is Everest Ultimate reporting the CPU with a C0 stepping? I thought all the new non-engineering samples were supposed to be C1.

I guess this thread should now be changed to Overclocking the 9550 :D

So much for my OP :p

I am just kidding, I am not going to OC so I will not be getting the 9550 and wil save a few bucks and stick with the 8400 for now.

I must say it is quite impressive, but just not for me.

Back to my ORIGINAL post, what are your thoughts on:

1) EVGA 9600GT SSC 740 Mhz

or

2) EVGA 8800GT Superclocked 650MHz

They are $7 difference between the two and do not know if I should go for newer card or the older 8800GT.

Help!

9600GT SSC 740 Mhz would be my decision. Updated shader model support, and runs at cooler temperatures. Plus, if tampered correctly, can be overclocked more than the factroy OC. Not to mention the faster core clock.

Great question, AuDioFreaK39...It appears Everest Ultimate shows it at CO, instead of C1. Perhaps Intel made a quick change, or counted on us geeks to attempt some serious overclock speeds!

Great question, AuDioFreaK39...It appears Everest Ultimate shows it at CO, instead of C1. Perhaps Intel made a quick change, or counted on us geeks to attempt some serious overclock speeds!

Ahh perhaps. Hey did you get my private message?

Back