Computer Browser Service crashes after SP2

jimnms

Gawd
For some reason after SP2, the Computer Browser service keeps stoping. This is the event log when it stops:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7023
Date: 8/10/2004
Time: 12:57:25 PM
User: N/A
Description:
The Computer Browser service terminated with the following error:
This operation returned because the timeout period expired.

I can't believe I'm the only one with this problem. All three computers on my network are doing it. I know it's only required on one computer. I only had it running on one, but when it started crashing on it, I enabled it on all three.

I can't browse the shares on my network anymore, I have to either manually search for them or open it from the run command. :(

Come on, will somebody take 20 seconds to look in your services and tell me if the computer browser is still running after 5 minutes. Whenever I restart the service manually, exactly 5 minutes to the second it shuts down.

started! maybe you didn't install the final release of sp2; if you know you did then I dunno whats happening.

best i can figure, if windows doesn't see a network connection it might just disable it. I really have no idea though, that was only a guess.

So mine is started =) yay

A virus/trojan maybe? i dunno

If you rightclick on this service, what exactly is your details in each window ?

Also, if you open EventViewer, is there an indication of the failure ?

It's the final SP2, I downloaded it here.

The EventLog just shows what I posted in the first post. The error is the same on all three computers. The time is ecactly 5 minutes after the event log showing the computer browser starting.
Code:
Event Type:	Error
Event Source:	Service Control Manager
Event Category:	None
Event ID:	7023
Date:		8/14/2004
Time:		4:49:23 PM
User:		N/A
Computer:	JIM
Description:
The Computer Browser service terminated with the following error: 
This operation returned because the timeout period expired.

I used the "sc querry browser" command in the console, and this is all it shows.

Code:
        TYPE               : 20  WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
        STATE              : 1  STOPPED
                                (NOT_STOPPABLE,NOT_PAUSABLE,IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)
        WIN32_EXIT_CODE    : 1460       (0x5b4)
        SERVICE_EXIT_CODE  : 1460       (0x5b4)
        CHECKPOINT         : 0x0
        WAIT_HINT          : 0x0

I've searched the MS Knowledge Base, and the only thing I can find says the Computer Browser will terminate if the Windows Firewall is blocking the ports. I'm not running the Windows Firewall.

This is just f'd up. After re-reading the knowledge base article, I dicided to turn the Windows Firewall on just to see what happens and guess what? The computer browser service starts up with it and I can now browse my network. :confused:

According to that KB article, it says the computer browser service will stop if you are running the firewall and blocking the ports, but this is the exact oposite. If I turn off the firewall, computer browser dies, turn on the firewall and computer browser works.

Back