Computer Browser Service crashes after SP2

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by jimnms, Aug 10, 2004.

1. jimnms

jimnms Gawd

For some reason after SP2, the Computer Browser service keeps stoping. This is the event log when it stops:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7023
    Date: 8/10/2004
    Time: 12:57:25 PM
    User: N/A
    Description:
    The Computer Browser service terminated with the following error:
    This operation returned because the timeout period expired.

2. jimnms

jimnms Gawd

I can't believe I'm the only one with this problem. All three computers on my network are doing it. I know it's only required on one computer. I only had it running on one, but when it started crashing on it, I enabled it on all three.

I can't browse the shares on my network anymore, I have to either manually search for them or open it from the run command. :(

3. jimnms

jimnms Gawd

Come on, will somebody take 20 seconds to look in your services and tell me if the computer browser is still running after 5 minutes. Whenever I restart the service manually, exactly 5 minutes to the second it shuts down.

4. ComputerBox34

ComputerBox34 Right in the Box

My Computer Browser service is running. And it has been ever since I put on the OS.

5. artimasz

artimasz Gawd

started! maybe you didn't install the final release of sp2; if you know you did then I dunno whats happening.

best i can figure, if windows doesn't see a network connection it might just disable it. I really have no idea though, that was only a guess.

So mine is started =) yay

A virus/trojan maybe? i dunno

6. Moto Guzzi

Moto Guzzi [H]ard|Gawd

If you rightclick on this service, what exactly is your details in each window ?

Also, if you open EventViewer, is there an indication of the failure ?

7. jimnms

jimnms Gawd

It's the final SP2, I downloaded it here.

The EventLog just shows what I posted in the first post. The error is the same on all three computers. The time is ecactly 5 minutes after the event log showing the computer browser starting.
    Code:
    Event Type:	Error
    Event Source:	Service Control Manager
    Event Category:	None
    Event ID:	7023
    Date:		8/14/2004
    Time:		4:49:23 PM
    User:		N/A
    Computer:	JIM
    Description:
    The Computer Browser service terminated with the following error: 
    This operation returned because the timeout period expired.
    I used the "sc querry browser" command in the console, and this is all it shows.

Code:
            TYPE               : 20  WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
            STATE              : 1  STOPPED
                                    (NOT_STOPPABLE,NOT_PAUSABLE,IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)
            WIN32_EXIT_CODE    : 1460       (0x5b4)
            SERVICE_EXIT_CODE  : 1460       (0x5b4)
            CHECKPOINT         : 0x0
            WAIT_HINT          : 0x0
    I've searched the MS Knowledge Base, and the only thing I can find says the Computer Browser will terminate if the Windows Firewall is blocking the ports. I'm not running the Windows Firewall.

8. Ranma_Sao

Ranma_Sao 2[H]4U

Do you have any other tweaks on your box? Services disabled etc?

9. jimnms

jimnms Gawd

This is just f'd up. After re-reading the knowledge base article, I dicided to turn the Windows Firewall on just to see what happens and guess what? The computer browser service starts up with it and I can now browse my network. :confused:

According to that KB article, it says the computer browser service will stop if you are running the firewall and blocking the ports, but this is the exact oposite. If I turn off the firewall, computer browser dies, turn on the firewall and computer browser works.