Computer blue screen on boot, fine with extra HDD removed

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Sprtfan, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Sprtfan

Sprtfan Limp Gawd

Power went out and computer wouldn't reboot after. The boot drive is a SSD and I have 4 HDD for storage. When booting, I can hear a clicking noise so thought one of the HDD failed. I disconnected them and booted fine. I started adding them back in one at a time. With one added the computer would still boot but went into a repair while booting. After adding another, it would crash on boot up again. Not matter which drives I added, any combination of 2 HDD connected would cause a blue screen.
    I'm guessing it is a power supply issue? Would the only other option be an issue with the motherboard? Thanks

2. Rifter0876

Rifter0876 [H]Lite

Hard drive(s) is probably just dead. Just had this happen to myself with win10. I have win10 and linux installed on a Nvme SSD and have 5 HDD's for storage. Not sure what win 10's problem is but it appears it will fail to boot even with one dead non-system disk installed. My linux OS booted fine, so i ran tests on the HDDs to confirm one was dead, it was, and i removed it and then win10 boots fine and acts like nothing happened. I just chalked it up to MS being really really bad at making OS's and didnt think much about it.

TheFlayedMan likes this.
  3. Sprtfan

Sprtfan Limp Gawd

Ended up being the power supply. Each HDD checked out on another computer. I was almost hoping it was a HDD issue since changing the power supply is a pain vs dropping in a new HDD and I had back ups of everything.