Computer based VOIP server???

dandbonline

Bad Trader
I don't know if this is possible, but I have a computer that I want to turn into a VOIP server for Google Voice. I basically want the internet running into it, some type of VOIP software, and then my phone running out from a modem that I have. I would like to use Windows 7, but I can use linux if needed. Does anyone know of something like this? I have a Google Voice number, and want to start using it and cancel Vonage.

The bottom line is that I simply want to use what I have, and not have to buy something. Thanks.

Last edited:
Asterisk
PBX in a Flash

There are several out there that will do what you want.

I personally use PBXIAF with Goolge Voice for home, without land line.

What I am wanting it actually rather simple...I want to install a modem in my machine, and run the landline phones out of it. I then want them to ring when people call my google voice number. I realize I could buy a $40 adapter, but I am going to use what I already have if I can. Thanks.

What I am wanting it actually rather simple...I want to install a modem in my machine, and run the landline phones out of it. I then want them to ring when people call my google voice number. I realize I could buy a $40 adapter, but I am going to use what I already have if I can. Thanks.

no, you're not going to be able to get it done w/ a dial up modem...

you would need an FXS card/gateway to interface an old phone with your PBX.... or a voip phone....

if you don't want to buy anything, a softphone on your pc

You'd need an fxs card and between that and the electricity you are better off buying an ATA adapter to connect your phone too.

Also...do you really want to manage a PBX? They are kind of an involved set up, and you'll spend weeks troubleshooting the smallest of errors. Better off with an adapter IMO

If I can't use a regular modem to output to the phones, then I think I will just buy the obi100, since I would have to buy something anyway. I appreciate all your guys help.

Back