Computer audio setup

I am looking to get an entirely new sound setup for my pc. I am not digging the current integrated audio set up. Im currently using Seinnheiser 485s for my pc headphone needs. Im really looking to upgrade to something a lot nicer. But their is of course no need to do this with integrated sound. What do you guys suggest for a good pair cans, a good audio card, a receiver and other accessories I would need. I would be looking to spend about $1000 not a ton in the audio world but i assume I can still get pretty decent stuff... I would be primarily listening to music/dvds with this. I do game so fairly versatile equipment would be the best. Thanks in advance!

Edit: I also have no issues with purchasing equipment used.

Just headphones? Or speakers too?

Anyway, we are all waiting for the Prelude atm.

If you want to improve the onboard sound NOW instead of waiting get a Panasonic Xr-57 receiver and use the onboards optical out into the 57s DAC and voila!

You can just get an X-FI extreme gamer to tide you over until the Prelude saves humanity hopefully.

2.1 sound = two decent bookshelf speakers like the Usher 520, run them bi-amped and add a decent small sub like whatever you can scoop off of audiogon.

It's what I have and it SMOKES.

Or, just get a pair of Open Darth Beyers, a decent amp and a dac like a Zhalou 2 or 3 and an X-fi again. That's insane sounding and will cost you near a grand alone but yowza!

I would just be looking for headphones (at the moment at least).

Edit: im basically looking to get at least some type of foothold into the realm of audiophile.

Open w/ 2M of blackcopper or black max cable and 1/4 inch plug.

Wood of your choice.

PM MisterX here for an amp.

That's it. Add an X-Fi and a decent little dac and VOILA! instant bliss.

I really, really, really promise you they will melt your head.

BUT there's a month or two build time on those headphones. Larry is backordered for a reason. His Darths simply ROCK.

You can get used Darths sometimes on the head-fi used section.

I really do like the look of those darths! Any specific x-fi card I should get? According to what i have read prelude is coming out in july and I would probbaly buy everything in about amonth anyway so I should probably just wait on that.

the elite pro is good sounding but if you get a regular old x-fi gamer and add a good coaxial dac the sound is much better imo. the best sound from an x-fi requires a dac to convert the digital out of the x-fi into analogue or rca output to input to the headphone amp.

Just headphones? Or speakers too?

Anyway, we are all waiting for the Prelude atm.

If you want to improve the onboard sound NOW instead of waiting get a Panasonic Xr-57 receiver and use the onboards optical out into the 57s DAC and voila!

You can just get an X-FI extreme gamer to tide you over until the Prelude saves humanity hopefully.

2.1 sound = two decent bookshelf speakers like the Usher 520, run them bi-amped and add a decent small sub like whatever you can scoop off of audiogon.

It's what I have and it SMOKES.

Or, just get a pair of Open Darth Beyers, a decent amp and a dac like a Zhalou 2 or 3 and an X-fi again. That's insane sounding and will cost you near a grand alone but yowza!

How do you run it biamped with 1 receiver? Unless I misread it...

the receiver has a bi-amp option. It means that for 2 speakers with 4 power or wire inputs, you can run the highs and lows seperate. So think about it as running the same amount of power of 4 speakers into two and having the highs and lows running on their own separate channels so you get cleaner sound. It limits the number of speakers but the sound is improved.

basically, you just use 4 channels of speaker outs into two speakers. the XR-57 has this option and is easy to enable.

I think im going to go with the following.

An x-fi card (maybe gamer but probably something a little nicer.)
darth beyers
zhaolu d2.5
and mister x amp

Yup. THAT'S the ticket I promise. After all the combos I tired I liked that best for under $1k Headphone Gaming Nirvana.

If the prelude actually ships this month Ill jump on that bandwagon, also I may get the D3 instead of the 2.5 because i can get it cheaper.

Back