CompTia Security+

I'm pretty sure when you have clearance you aren't supposed to talk about......

I'm quite sure you're wrong about that. Some of the codewords and compartments themselves are classified but the fact one may or may not have a TS/SCI (or any other of the umpteen or so types) clearance themselves is not.

I'm quite sure you're wrong about that. Some of the codewords and compartments themselves are classified but the fact one may or may not have a TS/SCI (or any other of the umpteen or so types) clearance themselves is not.

If somebody wanted to figure out who had clearances they could just sit outside of the company and figure it out as people come and go.

With a clearance, you are instructed by counter-intelligence offices not to speak about it, mention it, post it, etc. You can lose it.

Assuming your name is Sean Hulbert, I couldn't find it on anything that I have access to for looking up names. I won't go any further than just to say that.

With a clearance, you are instructed by counter-intelligence offices not to speak about it, mention it, post it, etc. You can lose it.

Assuming your name is Sean Hulbert, I couldn't find it on anything that I have access to for looking up names. I won't go any further than just to say that.

That means you have one?

http://www.linkedin.com/profile/vie...2_*2_*2_*2_*2&pvs=ps&trk=pp_profile_name_link

Looks like Sean works for Toolwire...which is kind of ironic....and I won't mention why. Anyone who has read his other posts will know what I mean.

If somebody wanted to figure out who had clearances they could just sit outside of the company and figure it out as people come and go.

TS and non-TS people both work in the same buildings. Often the same offices. There may be areas that are setup differently for TS areas. We were looking at setting up a TS area at the last place I worked at, but even then there were to be two different areas within that section that was blocked off. I don't remember what the two areas were for anymore.

Well, I do admire the bluntness. ;)

With a preference for GIAC/CISA/CISSP - you, as well as the organizations you've worked with represent a micro fraction of an IT market which is on an enormous scale.

The 99% of hiring managers, human resources and personnel departments still look for/ask for certain base credentials to separate favourable candidates unfavourable.

Do a search for broad search for job vacancies and sort the list with those asking for Security+ as a requirement. There are potentially dozens of them with a variety of Fortune 100, Fortune 500 and Fortune 1000. Look a little further at that list - a Defense contractor, a Bank, et cetera.

Why? Because it's recognized - just as Cisco Certifications or CISSP certfications are. It probably isn't revered in the high end security community, but having it is still a basic requirement for even being a candidate many networking/information technology related jobs.
These jobs that probably may not have anything to do with diving into security - but you may need to be aware of certain aspects of the broad information security topic and how it translates into your networking job or desktop support job which may be entry level or mid level in an organization; where having a high level security certification probably won't influence your pay or may be completely overkill for your job scope.

Also note - just because someone has a CompTIA certification - it doesn't necessarily translate into them being incompetent. A lot of people get CompTIA certifications to put on their resumes because it is asked of you by the broader hiring market - the 99%. Experience makes the difference - but people also list that on their resumes.

As part of an HR team that interviews potential employees - I've seen people with IT degrees that can't put a computer one together as well as some Cisco "professionals" who couldn't describe a router to me in more than a sentence.

There's always incompetence and lack of experience - that goes with the territory, but blacklisting a certification completely without understanding the job scopes and roles it applies to is indescribable,

I agree. Well put.

I got my Sec+ a few months before they went from lifetime to renewal based. It was easy and covers a lot of basics of security protocols and principals. I read SY0-201 Exam Cram to refresh myself. Honestly, simple things like remembering port numbers was the hardest part to me. The rest is really basic stuff. It's probably safe to consider it an entry level security certification. I can't imagine a place that has heavy security that would only require this cert. Knowing this, I still took it though since it was lifetime, at the time.

I got my Sec+ a few months before they went from lifetime to renewal based. It was easy and covers a lot of basics of security protocols and principals. It's probably considered an entry level security certification. I can't imagine a place that has heavy security that would only require this cert.

Many government positions require this if you work in Security.

Back