CompTIA changing it's certification rules

Shalafi

Fully [H]
Now are valid 3 years from the date earned, afterwards you have to renew your certifications

these rules apply to the A+, Network+ and Security+

lol

now lots of people are talking about boycotting them or letting their certifications lapse

guess i won't bother with A+ or Network+ now

i had planned on getting those, but i guess now that won't be neccessary

that's all the better because I really want CCNA now and it can be my sole focus

I guess it doesn't matter. You really only need CompTIA certs for 3 years or less before you've graduated to real certifications.

I guess it doesn't matter. You really only need CompTIA certs for 3 years or less before you've graduated to real certifications.

Yeah lol, and if somebody does renew (especially for the A+), then that's a warning sign that they really aren't that bright.

I like it!

i had planned on getting those, but i guess now that won't be neccessary

that's all the better because I really want CCNA now and it can be my sole focus

It's good to start with the basics, build a good foundation. Similar to regular education.

So all my CompTIA certs I got on 05 and 06 are now invalid? OH NOEEEESSSS!!!!

Meh, CompTIA. Too old for that shit ;)

Are we grandfathered in or screwed? Pretty lame to get it when it says lifetime and then later get it yanked. I'm sure employers wouldn't let it bother them too much in hiring if it's expired. Unless they want to claim all their people are certified. Still lame.

Cut and paste something from transcender, lays it out in detail.

http://transcender.wordpress.com/20...cy-for-a-network-and-security-certifications/

As of January 1, 2010, the three flagship CompTIA certifications (A+, Network+, and Security+) are no longer “open-ended” permanent certifications. Instead, they will expire three years from issue, after which the holder will need to refresh the certification to remain current.

Before you read on, here are the key points:

* This new standard affects all past, present, and future certification holders, no matter when the certification was obtained.
* The earliest expiration date for present certification holders is December 31, 2011.
* A system of Continuing Education Credits (CEUs) will support recertification. You will not have to take new exams to renew certification. Details are TBA. See CompTIA’s CEU press release here.
* Only these three certifications are affected. Other CompTIA certifications (including Project+, Server+, and Linux+) are not currently affected by this policy change.
* Going forward, all certification material for these three tracks will have a “Valid Through” date. If you have an old certificate, you can order a new copy that includes your “Valid Through” date through CompTIA’s Web site.
* If you hold multiple certifications, only the highest level certification has to be renewed. For example, if you have both CompTIA A+ and Security+ certifications, you only have to renew your Security+ to keep all of your lower-level certifications valid.
* Bridge exams will be phased out.

You can read the entire CompTIA Certification Renewal Policy here: http://www.comptia.org/certifications/listed/renewal.aspx. CompTIA has also released a Certification Renewal Plan that provides a timeline, a renewal deadline to retain certification, and a renewal action plan for certification holders: http://www.comptia.org/Libraries/Certification_Documents/renewalplan.sflb.ashx.

The three-year renewal does not automatically require a test for re-certification. You’ll be able to track continuing education units (CEUs), conference attendance, publications, training, and other metrics to apply toward your renewal. The online system for tracking continuing education and renewal credits will be released in the next few months; keep checking www.comptia.org/renewal for updates.

Note: If you currently have a Security+ certification, CompTIA recommends that you start tracking any security-related educational activities now, and log them once the CEU system goes live.

CompTIA states their policy change is driven by the standards set by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO), and by efforts to keep these broad-based certifications relevant in a rapidly changing industry.

If you’ve been studying objectives for an older exam (such as 220-601 for the A+ 2006 objectives) and you plan to take that exam for certification, be sure to study these Certification Renewal Sample Scenarios.

ETA @ 3:40 PM: CompTIA Vice President Terry Erdle just published a podcast addressing these changes. You can listen to it here: Addressing Certification Concerns. To read other users’ reactions, check the CompTIA blog post titled Cert Shelf Life.

I happened to recently pass my CompTIA A+ exams. My certification documents arrived two weeks ago and included an expiration date of December 2012. So, now that expiration has been instituted, here’s what you’ll see on your official certificate (which also arrives with a spiffy wallet card, might I add):

I don't really see how this is a bad thing... indefinite certs in a constantly changing industry just makes them meaningless. I still plan on getting my A+, Security+ and Linux+ in the next year.

ZOMG, my A+ cert that I got almost 10 years ago is going to expire!!!11

Whatever will I do!!?

ZOMG, my A+ cert that I got almost 10 years ago is going to expire!!!11

Whatever will I do!!?

that right there is what makes the point of "recertifying" for A+, and Network+ inherently worthless

Security+ is still a big thing so there might be a point to recertifying for that

but A+ and Network+

nah . . . .

my school is paying for me to take those exams if i want to, so I might as well

but the changes are still very fuckin dumb

yay, now I get to go retake my network+. I already have my A+, and my Net+ which I got about 2 years ago. And I'm busy studying for my CCNA atm, and this is the last thing I need is to have to go back to my net+ to renew the damn thing.

I find this rather deplorable of CompTia and this is nothing but a scheme to get more money out of people.

I will still call myself Net+ and Sec+ certified thank you very much as my certs are just about expired.

you don't have to bother renewing your Net+

because CCNA covers the same damn material only they add in Cisco's proprietary technologies

how far are you in CCNA?

I have all the packet tracers labs for all 4 semesters if you want them

i can email to you if you PM me

now its a tossup for me to get my A+, Net+, and Linux+ as well. Just had'nt gotten around to taking the a and net, and should be done with linux at the end of the semester. I still might just because it could help me land a job once I graduate.

Oh well my A+ is expired, F it. I have an MCSA which was a cool thing when I got it but I have to say didn't do squat for me. I know it's not a "elite" certification but it was at least something back in the day, or so I thought at the time. Hands on experience worked for me.

Did you guys not read the press release??

"The earliest expiration date for present certification holders is December 31, 2011."

Oh well my A+ is expired, F it. I have an MCSA which was a cool thing when I got it but I have to say didn't do squat for me. I know it's not a "elite" certification but it was at least something back in the day, or so I thought at the time. Hands on experience worked for me.

And to be honest hands on experience is really the best thing in the world. When you are a very fresh guy with less then 5 years experience (like my first job) your certs are the only thing that can really prove your worth, but once you have some real world experience and a few people who can vouch for you, you never really have to worry about renewing your certs again (unless of course your employer absolutely requires them, in which case they can pay for the renewals.)

no they aren't expired but if you want to keep your certification you will have to either retake the exam or do some kind of credit towards staying recertified

in the meanwhile $50 maintenence fee lols

lol

but i think you're not "expired" till dec 31, 2011 like he said though

since the A+ was a lifetime certification untill they made the chance

for sure you won't have to renew your cert, you're already well off aren't you

For some reason my company required an A+ cert of new hires in my position, even though computers are maybe 20% of our work. I already had it from a previous job, but never followed through on other stuff (except MCDST)...I'm probably so far behind the curve now that Tier 1 Help Desk guys outclass me.

Not a good thing. It really sucks. CompTIA certs really aren't that valuable anyway. They cost too much, and they made up for it by being lifetime certs. Not really a big thing to renew a very entry level certification. After 3 years, if you haven't worked up the line a bit, you're in the wrong industry anyway.

Bad move, IMO. Weak.

Windows 3.1 was on my A+ test... It's safe to consider it "expired" I think. :cool:

heh - 3.1 and some DOS commands if I recall correctly, but it was some 12+ years ago by now.

3 years for Net+ and A+ is enough time to have gotten your feet wet and be working up towards better positions and better certs (if you want). If you are still using your A+ to get jobs at 3 years, renew... not horrible. If after 6 years you are still using it - I suggest you might also want to look into the vendor specific certs (HP and Dell still have them last I heard) so that you aren't still doing the same job in another 3 years...

I like the double standard here... CompTIA exams aren't really respected, but when they take a step in order to make them more respectable that is also somehow bad.

I think it's a step in the right direction, but will not be renewing my A+ or Network+ when they do expire.

I understand what you're saying, and I agree and I disagree

do you REALLY need to receritify your A+ even after not taking the courses for years?

There's very little that has actually changed when it comes to the basic principles of how hardware and software works

keep in mind i'm emphasizing the key words basic principles here

and those certs are just entry level anyway

like most in this thread have said, once you use them to get your starting jobs and gain the experience, you don't really need them anymore

You only will have to do Continuing Ed to keep them, not retest. Reread the article. Also I just fired an A+ cert holder for not knowing shit. Also fired a kid the is 2 semesters into the CCNA which is a 2 semester class. He also did not have a fast enough learning curve in the real world. I have 9 yrs experience and am taking a NET+ just for the "next" step certs. They are designed to be stepping stones not working certs.

you sound like fun to work for :)

you do realize that while it's true that CCNA can be done in a short time

that for someone new to networking CCNA 1 which explains all the history and theory really should be taken by itself if you're doing an actual classroom?

CCNA 2 and 3 can be taken concurrently, CCNA 4 is a waste of time unless you're going to work for an ISP, it's only value is you do learn frame relay, NAT's and ACL's which are useful in CCNP

Don't take me wrong. The A+ guy got canned for pumping himself up to my superviser and failing utterly in the last 60 days. I should not be called back to the shop to solder 4 wires to a HDD he decided to alter with a screw in the case, just to save the customers data. Also I should not have had to explain why removing the "big" fan in the middle of the computer mobo can cause issues. Especially when the paste glued the proc to the bottom of the heatsink and he reset it back onto the closed socket with the proc still stuck to the bottom of the heatsink. Just screw it down harder I guess. We cut ties before the probationary period ended.
The Kid taking the CCNA course work was a know it all, I am never wrong, arrogant little guy that gives the IT service industry a bad name. We service small business customers who have worked their asses off to make their businesses profitable. They do not need to be talked to with some condecending little twerp attitude from someone who knows very little compared to someone without a cert or degree. I think the degree fields can give someone a false sense of real world knowledge.

I was trying to make the point that the cert is only as good as the holder of it. That is why I simply think that a time restriction and requirement for CE is not a bad idea, but one that will improve the field of IT in general.

*edit*
Pics of the solder job are on my blackberry and I will try to post them.

i see what you're getting at, but when you precluded yourself by your first post it gave off the wrong kind of impression. I certainly can see where you're coming from, those kind of attitudes and lack of knowledge have no place in ANY industry, you're exactly right.

That removing the big fan thing is hilarious lol

i can't believe someone like that actually can take a computer apart

jesus christ

CompTIA are worthless in my eyes now. The only reason why I got them was because they were lifelong certs. The only CompTIA test even worth it to get is Security+ now. That's only because you can apply it to MCSA / MCSE for the :Security. MCP / MCTS / CCNA is the way to go if anyone is starting out now. There is no reason to pay more for a beginner cert when you can pay less and get a cert more recognized.

When MCSE / MCSE exams are retired the Security+ is going to be dead then. CompTIA is really shooting themselves in the foot trying to be greedy.

*note
You need the 299 exam as well for the :Security but what I was saying is that you can use that as an elective.

Last edited:
"When MCSE / MCSE exams are retired the Security+ is going to be dead then."

Surprisingly... not everyone that gets the Sec+ is working on MS boxes.

CompTIA are worthless in my eyes now. The only reason why I got them was because they were lifelong certs. The only CompTIA test even worth it to get is Security+ now. That's only because you can apply it to MCSA / MCSE for the :Security. MCP / MCTS / CCNA is the way to go if anyone is starting out now. There is no reason to pay more for a beginner cert when you can pay less and get a cert more recognized.

When MCSE / MCSE exams are retired the Security+ is going to be dead then. CompTIA is really shooting themselves in the foot trying to be greedy.

*note
You need the 299 exam as well for the :Security but what I was saying is that you can use that as an elective.

thanks for the good advice

I was wondering what Microsoft (if any) certifications I should make it my goal to acquire

I DO notice that a lot of jobs out there list Microsoft certifications as a qualification for getting a job

"When MCSE / MCSE exams are retired the Security+ is going to be dead then."

Surprisingly... not everyone that gets the Sec+ is working on MS boxes.

That's true but the major focal point of Security+ was getting it as an elective for a MS exam. The only people I see in the IT field that have Security+ have it because it was used as an elective. 99% of the people I see have just the A+ and/or Network+. A+ is the only cert from CompTIA that holds water in the future and that just because of HR people.

I see the reasoning, but I feel ripped off that they won't honor the certs that were obtained before they made this decision.

I have all three of those... They were obtained because they were:
A) Free. My employer paid
B) Easy stepping stones to CCNA, CISSP, MCSE

I'm laughing at this because I got them years ago and don't even have them on my resume now.

If it matters at all to you. I suggest using something I've seen IEs do. Put a line on your resume that says something like "Former CCIE #12345." It says that you passed the test and just haven't had reason to re-cert.

... and yeah, my A+ exam had VL and ISA bus questions... :p
Never mock the BAT file :mad:

Back