Compression Fittings

cwilhelm

Weaksauce
Given the obvious that the tubing and fitting sizes match up, can any tubing be used with any compression fittings?

I believed this to be true but after reading a bit I'm under the impression that you must use Tygon tubing...

A little help on this one please. My setup is all standard fittings with clamps but I'd like to switch to compression, mainly because I use Swiftech blocks that aren't real friendly to hose clamps with the I/O so close.

Any help and/or product recommendation in terms of tubing and fittings appreciated.

When dealing with compression fittings, you need to know two things: ID = Inner Diameter, and OD = Outer Diameter. Not all compression fittings match all hoses. For example, I run with Tygon 3603 plumbing. It has a 1/2" ID and an OD of 3/4". BitsPower and Danger Den offer fittings that fit this hose just fine. They also make ID 1/2" ID and 5/8 OD for thinner walled 1/2" pipe. When looking for compression fittings to mach your plumbing, you must know the ID/OD in order for them to fit correctly. What tubing are you currently using?

Now, as for what fits your waterblock due to how close the Inlet port and Oulet port, may I suggest you visit this link which has a great breakdown of what fits what with regards to blocks.

ive used clearflex / feser tubing with em and worked perfectly.. you just have to be smart about getting the right size fittings, some blocks will only fit smaller ones next to each other.

Any tubing will work assuming the size is right. However, two things to be aware of. One, compressions are wide and will not work with some blocks (fuzion v2 for instance). Two, you mentioned you use swiftech blocks. They are NOT g1/4 threads. Though most times a normal barb like a fatboy is fine bc it sinks in far enough, but, compressions will generally not fit without a npsm 1/4 to g1/4 adapter (which should always be used regardless of whether the barb happens to seal).

You can heat smaller ID tubing, in boiling water, before fitting it and get a fair amount of wiggle room, but there are limits. It shouldn't matter too much what brand of tubing you use, but I wouldn't suggest the cheap Home Depot stuff in any case.

BTW, you're going the right way with comrpession fittings. They aren't just attractive, they're very functional and easy to use.

An npsm to g adapter? I've never heard of anything like this. I use an apogee gtx for my cpu and mcw60 for my cards. If I do need adapters, where would I get them?

Under the specs on the MCW60 graphics block I found this:

The NPSM thread used in the MCW60 is BSPP and G 1/4 fittings compatible (see technical note on Fittings Compatibility)

Am I missing something? I found that Bitspower does make the adapter you're talking about and I found where to get them but I just want to make sure I really do need them first because they're not cheap...especially when you need a dozen or so.

Thanks for the help.

Edit:

¼, or BSPP, fittings will fit, but may not seal; each must be checked prior to assuming that it will not leak just because they fit together.

Both NPSM and G ¼ (BSPP) are parallel thread and nominally the same size, the principal difference being 18 threads per inch for NPSM and 19 threads per inch for G ¼ (BSPP). Since most male end G ¼ fittings have a short thread length they can generally be engaged in the NPSM threads without difficulty.

The joint seal is effected with an o-ring which for the NPSM barb is in a groove on the waterblock top and compressed by the flange nut barb.
G ¼ fittings have the o-ring captured in a groove under the fitting nut.

G ¼ fittings will seal so long as there is a straight portion under the nut flats sufficient to bring the G ¼ fitting’s o-ring into contact with the bottom of the o-ring groove, a depth of 0.080”.

Got it. Thanks again for the help, I'd've been lost on that one. Never knew what the whole G 1/4" thing was about, I figured that's what everything was.

Ya, I didn't know either until I tried putting some compressions on my mcw60. Couldn't figure out why I got leaks until I read the docs. However, the fatboys I got later did seal...but just to be safe I use the adapters anyways.

I use G1/4" compression fittings on my Swiftech CPU block which has NPSM threads. I used an extra O ring in the fitting and some plumbing tape to make them fit and be as water tight as possible (may not have all been needed though) and I did water test them for 12h under pressure to make sure of no leaks and so far (touch wood) its been fine for 6 months.

As long as you test that they are mechanically connected and that there are no leaks before you fit it all together then you should not have a problem. The main problem you will have with 1/4" to NPSM is when you have a long thread as this will bind before it becomes water tight. Normal length fittings should be fine though.

Another trick you can do with the Swiftechs (well, at least with the GTZ) is to take the O-rings from the fittings that come with the blocks and use them on your replacment fittings. They are really fat and will normally make a good seal.

Sure, you can do these makeshift solutions and cross your fingers...or spend a couple bucks per adapter and be comfortable leaving the house while the computer is on ;)

Go to xtremesystems and search around, there are people who learned the hard way in this situation (even months down the line sometimes,..)

I got this tubing ---- Tygon R3603 1/2in. ID AAC00038 8 3.00
3/4in. OD Laboratory
Tubing # AAC00038

And these fittings ---- Feser Compression Fitting feser1200 6 5.95
G1/4 Thread - 1/2in ID -
3/4in OD - High Flow

These will work together correct?

Also, any tricks to the trade of fitting these together?

Back