Composite to D-Sub adaptor?

Oneos

Gawd
I'm getting a new monitor which has DVI-D and D-Sub inputs. Since you are able to switch between these i figure might as well take advantage.

I would like to hook my NES up to the monitor, but I can't find an RCA/Composite > D-Sub/VGA adaptor. I've looked for about half an hour (yeh I'm impatient), and all my searches come up with like RCA > RCA Y or VGA Extension Cable.

Now

1) Does such an adaptor even exist?
2) Would it work just hooking it straight up to the monitor? Or would there be some problems?

Thanks in advance

It won't be a simple passive adaptor. You need something to transcode (or encode, or something) the composite signal into a VGA signal.

Viewsonic has a line of products that do this, it's called a nVision or something, I'm having a brain fart at the moment.

I think other companies have these as well. I'm sure others will post about them.

Yes it is, only bad thing is $50 USD is $61 CAD Then + Shipping & Handling as well as taxes. It'll cost me like $80 from there. I'll have to try and find it somehwere else.

Hate to be the giver of bad news

1. There is no simple adaptor.
2. It will cost money

Most of the transcoders for composite to VGA require two chips plus after circuitry. The first chip converts the composite signal into a digital RGB foramt. Then then the signal is then reconstructed with a microprocessor and fed to a few op-amp buffers. I built one in college and it cost me ~$300 in components at the time (1999). I also did the analysis for mass production cost (all our final projects required this) and it came to a MSRP of ~$200. So the fact that the prices are where they are...i'm impressed.

So please don't say "expensive for what it is" when you don't know what it takes to convert between the two formats. It takes some pretty precise technology to sample out the color spectrum and regenerate the H/V sync signals.

-tReP

Key Word : "Seems"

Anyway since this was just something fun I was hoping to do, I don't think I'll really do it. Thanks for the help, I'll keep this link if I decide to do this at a later time.

jeez, will the "I want to drive in 5mph rush hour traffic in my Lambourghini" threads ever die?

goto the second hand store and buy a 17" color TV ( hell if your local i'll GIVE ya a 12"er )

Back